NYU/CLS Scholarship Negotation-Apply for Penn scholarship?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
snehpets

NYU/CLS Scholarship Negotation-Apply for Penn scholarship?

Postby snehpets » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:21 pm

So my number one schools are NYU and CLS. I don't foresee a situation in which I would choose not to go to either NYU or CLS but WOULD choose to go to Penn (I would likely stay in state and attend UT, where I have a scholarship that I could hopefully get upped). Recently received invite for Rodin scholarship (?) at Penn, also Georgetown basically wants you to fill out their scholarship stuff right now. I don't really want to fill these out because it seems unfair since I'm not at all planning to go there. However, I DO want to be able to at least attempt to negotiate for more money with NYU/CLS.

My question is: I've heard NYU/CLS only really care about scholarship offers from their peer schools, making applying for a Penn or GULC scholarship pointless. Is there any truth to this?

Also, I'm really not very qualified for the Rodin scholarship anyway. If I don't fill out their named scholarship thing but do the rest of the stuff necessary to qualify for their merit scholarships, am I guaranteeing that they'll see me as not interested and not give me any unnamed merit money? this would obviously make sense, but I just wanted to check.

Thanks!

I tried searching for this and failed, so sorry if it's an annoyingly common question.

Nelson

Re: NYU/CLS Scholarship Negotation-Apply for Penn scholarship?

Postby Nelson » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:58 pm

snehpets wrote:So my number one schools are NYU and CLS. I don't foresee a situation in which I would choose not to go to either NYU or CLS but WOULD choose to go to Penn (I would likely stay in state and attend UT, where I have a scholarship that I could hopefully get upped). Recently received invite for Rodin scholarship (?) at Penn, also Georgetown basically wants you to fill out their scholarship stuff right now. I don't really want to fill these out because it seems unfair since I'm not at all planning to go there. However, I DO want to be able to at least attempt to negotiate for more money with NYU/CLS.

My question is: I've heard NYU/CLS only really care about scholarship offers from their peer schools, making applying for a Penn or GULC scholarship pointless. Is there any truth to this?

Also, I'm really not very qualified for the Rodin scholarship anyway. If I don't fill out their named scholarship thing but do the rest of the stuff necessary to qualify for their merit scholarships, am I guaranteeing that they'll see me as not interested and not give me any unnamed merit money? this would obviously make sense, but I just wanted to check.

Thanks!

I tried searching for this and failed, so sorry if it's an annoyingly common question.

Isn't the Silverman-Rodin a half ride to Penn? I think you'd be crazy not to at least apply for it. That would be one heck of a scholarship bargaining chip anywhere.

I think the rep on NYU and Columbia is they just don't give out money at all. Outside of the named scholarships, it seems like 10-15k/yr is the max.

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:03 pm

There was a poster from a few cycles back who had something like a 175/3.8 and got 75K from NYU--slightly better numbers, but not completely out of your range. I can't be 100% sure but I think he tried to get them to up it and they said no. But apparently NYU is really stingy, and Columbia seems to think people will attend at sticker regardless.

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:25 pm

Nelson wrote:I think the rep on NYU and Columbia is they just don't give out money at all. Outside of the named scholarships, it seems like 10-15k/yr is the max.

NYU sometimes gives 62.5.

Return to “Financial Aid”