how can i finance law school

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
oldguygoingback

how can i finance law school

Postby oldguygoingback » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:20 pm

Looking for help please. I am a 40 year old male who watched his life's work disappear and have decided to return to school. I am trying to reinvent myself by going to law school thereby leveraging my work experience win the securities industry with a JD. I am an ex wall st guy who lost everything and declared bankruptcy and am now being presented with the challenges of financing law school. I am hoping to attend Rutgers full time but Stafford loans only cover 20500 of the 25k needed for tuition and fees. I am also looking to attend full time and need to take loans to cover my living expenses, but my credit score is now worthless after declaring bankruptcy. Are there other ways of financing that have not been presented to me other than Stafford and credit based personal loans?

bk1

Re: how can i finance law school

Postby bk1 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:23 pm

Don't know about the bankruptcy stuff but GradPLUS loans will cover up to the full cost of attendance (thus bridging the gap between what you get from Stafford and what you need total).

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:25 pm

Most of us will be getting Grad PLUS loans to cover what Stafford doesn't. They can be taken out to cover the rest of the entire cost of attendance. The bar for qualifying for Grad+ is low (don't need "great" credit), but unfortunately a recent bankruptcy (within past 5 years) will probably disqualify you unless you can find a cosigner with a better record.

There's a lot of info here: http://www.finaid.org/questions/bankruptcy.phtml

oldguygoingback

Postby oldguygoingback » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:30 pm

do grad+ include living cost as well or just tuition and fees

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:31 pm

oldguygoingback wrote:do grad+ include living cost as well or just tuition and fees

rinkrat19 wrote:Most of us will be getting Grad PLUS loans to cover what Stafford doesn't. They can be taken out to cover the rest of the entire cost of attendance. The bar for qualifying for Grad+ is low (don't need "great" credit), but unfortunately a recent bankruptcy (within past 5 years) will probably disqualify you unless you can find a cosigner with a better record.

There's a lot of info here: http://www.finaid.org/questions/bankruptcy.phtml

oldguygoingback

Postby oldguygoingback » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:55 pm

thank you so much

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:27 pm

Talk to the rutgers financial aid office, as you might not be eligible for grad plus.

Return to “Financial Aid”