Parent Information on FAFSA/Need Access Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
EmilyL8487

New

Parent Information on FAFSA/Need Access

Post by EmilyL8487 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:01 pm

Hi - I am applying for financial aid and have a question about including parent information on the FAFSA and Need Access forms.

Only one of my schools, UC Berkeley, requires parent information on the FAFSA. Also, Northwestern Law DOES NOT require parent information on the Need Access forms.

My parents' income is very high, but they will not be financing my legal education at all. Will I be at a disadvantage if I do include parental information and send it to all of the schools? If so, should I submit separate FAFSA and Need Access applications? For example, submit a separate Need Access app to Northwestern that does not include parental information?

I'm hoping I can just submit it all at once, and they will disregard it if it is not required.

Thanks for your help!!

mcenteno

New

Re: Parent Information on FAFSA/Need Access

Post by mcenteno » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:28 am

I'm a Berkeley Law student and yes, Boalt does require parent information BUT if your parents have a high income, I would not include parent information for school's that do not require it. If you are able to claim independent (above 25 or married/parents did not claim you as dependent for tax purposes) I would avoid including parent info. You should also try contacting your financial aid office and discuss options, they'll know more about how to maximize your aid.

barrotmartin

Bronze

Post by barrotmartin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:23 pm

In the same vein, is it possible to remove schools after you've already begun the needaccess application? I would like to submit my parents' info only to schools that require it (for ex. UCLA doesn't require it if you haven't been claimed for over seven years). If it is possible, unfortunately it isn't obvious.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:32 pm

Northwestern has specifically said that they do NOT see any parental info on NeedAccess that you submitted for other schools' requirements. Presumably NeedAccess sends them a report only including the info they requested.

For FAFSA, you can submit to the schools that don't need parental info, wait for the it to be accepted, then go back and amend it. Remove the original schools from the list, add the schools that do require parental info, add the parental info, and resubmit.

citygirl000

Bronze

Post by citygirl000 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:17 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”