I have received most of my merit aid offers, and I am ready to start negotiating. I anticipate being eligible for need-based aid at most of my schools, though, and I haven't received any need-based aid offers yet.
Should I start negotiating merit-aid now? Or should I wait for some need-based offers to come in? I ask because I don't want a school to deflect my merit negotiation by saying, "You haven't gotten our need-based aid offer yet, so you will be getting more aid than you have been offered. We think it is a fair amount."
Basically, are merit scholarship negotiations separate from the entire need-based aid process?
Thanks for your help!
Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 963
- Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:05 pm
Most schools will say somewhere on there website whether they offer real need-based aid or if doing your FAFSA just qualifies your for federal loans. Most schools below HYS don't give out more than a few grand a year at most.
- Posts: 1179
- Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am
To offer some anecdotal evidence: Fordham told me to shut up and wait for need-based aid when I tried to negotiate. You may be better off just waiting until all financial aid is awarded, then negotiating once you have the full picture.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: eg13 and 4 guests