Merit Negotiations Question

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

Merit Negotiations Question

Postby btw384 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:15 pm

I have received most of my merit aid offers, and I am ready to start negotiating. I anticipate being eligible for need-based aid at most of my schools, though, and I haven't received any need-based aid offers yet.

Should I start negotiating merit-aid now? Or should I wait for some need-based offers to come in? I ask because I don't want a school to deflect my merit negotiation by saying, "You haven't gotten our need-based aid offer yet, so you will be getting more aid than you have been offered. We think it is a fair amount."

Basically, are merit scholarship negotiations separate from the entire need-based aid process?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Merit Negotiations Question

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:18 pm

Ask each school. Some schools combine need/merit. From what I understand, outside of H/Y, there isn't much pure need-based aid.

Postby coldshoulder » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:31 pm

Most schools will say somewhere on there website whether they offer real need-based aid or if doing your FAFSA just qualifies your for federal loans. Most schools below HYS don't give out more than a few grand a year at most.

Postby Killingly » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:34 pm

To offer some anecdotal evidence: Fordham told me to shut up and wait for need-based aid when I tried to negotiate. You may be better off just waiting until all financial aid is awarded, then negotiating once you have the full picture.

Return to “Financial Aid”