Do I say they are my "first choice" (they are, but...)?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
ThreeRivers

Do I say they are my "first choice" (they are, but...)?

Postby ThreeRivers » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:27 pm

So I got accepted to 3 peer schools.

2 offered me about half scholarships and my top choice has yet to offer me anything

If it goes into March and I still don't have an offer from them, I'm going to try to negotiate

My question is do I tell them they're my top choice?

They're in that if they offered me the exact same scholarship (or something really close) to other 2 I'd definitely attend there... I'm semi-worried if I say "top choice" they will offer a lot less than other 2 thinking I'll attend there for less since they're my top choice. Basically I want to politely say "look, match this offer and I'll go.. if you don't come that close I won't." lol

josh43299

Re: Do I say they are my "first choice" (they are, but...)?

Postby josh43299 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:40 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:So I got accepted to 3 peer schools.

2 offered me about half scholarships and my top choice has yet to offer me anything

If it goes into March and I still don't have an offer from them, I'm going to try to negotiate

My question is do I tell them they're my top choice?

They're in that if they offered me the exact same scholarship (or something really close) to other 2 I'd definitely attend there... I'm semi-worried if I say "top choice" they will offer a lot less than other 2 thinking I'll attend there for less since they're my top choice. Basically I want to politely say "look, match this offer and I'll go.. if you don't come that close I won't." lol

Sure, I think telling them that they are your top choice is a good idea. You just want to say something like, "Though X is my top choice, other prestigious institutions such as Y and Z have offered scholarships in the amounts of ____ and ____. Graduating from law school with a manageable level of debt is very important to me and ultimately my decision will be largely based upon financial considerations.... (your brief situation).." I don't think schools would give you less money and may give you more if they knew you are really serious about them.

Return to “Financial Aid”