retake LSAT for scholarships, financial aid Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
proxy

New

retake LSAT for scholarships, financial aid

Post by proxy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:19 pm

Say an individual has already been accepted to the law school he plans on attending, even though his LSAT score leaves a little to be desired.

Are there scholarships and other aid awarded based LSAT score? And if so, would it be worth his while retaking in order to qualify for some of these?

Thanks in advance :)

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: retake LSAT for scholarships, financial aid

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:16 pm

Yes, people retake in June to improve scholarship awards, but there are no guarantees. If you do significantly better you should be willing to reapply to garner the full benefit of the improved score.

LawperaMan

Bronze

Post by LawperaMan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:10 pm

Opportunity cost of delaying law school by one more year (and theoretically your post LS earnings) vs. the additional scholarship dollars you may receive (or better school you are accepted to).

I believe the margin of error on the LSAT is considered 3 points +/-, so I would imagine you would need to score at least 5 points higher (probably more) to make a significant difference.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:52 pm

LawperaMan wrote:Opportunity cost of delaying law school by one more year (and theoretically your post LS earnings) vs. the additional scholarship dollars you may receive (or better school you are accepted to).

I believe the margin of error on the LSAT is considered 3 points +/-, so I would imagine you would need to score at least 5 points higher (probably more) to make a significant difference.
What? The fact that the margin of error is 3 points has no impact on how one is affected by improving by even a single point on the actual test. I mean, seriously, you are saying that someone who scored a 167 needs to score at least a 172 "(probably more)" in order for a retake to be worth it.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:57 pm

LawperaMan wrote: I believe the margin of error on the LSAT is considered 3 points +/-, so I would imagine you would need to score at least 5 points higher (probably more) to make a significant difference.

Lolwut.

I know that point has already been scooped but I also wanted to add taking an extra year to apply is usually on the positive side of opportunity costs, especially if you have an improved lsat.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kakaa001

New

Post by kakaa001 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:05 am

Okay, here's my related question:

I scored a 160 on the LSAT in December. It was my first attempt. I've already delayed law school a year, so I'm pretty adament about going off in the fall. I've gotten decent scholarship offers from T2 schools. If I retake the LSAT in June (because its too late to sign up for February), could I negotiate more scholarship money from my schools? Yes, I realize that I will have needed to place a seat deposit before the June LSAT, but I would be willing to place deposits on my top school choices in anticipation of perhaps more scholarship money from them.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:24 am

Probably wouldn't help you that late in the game. Also, why are you "adament" about going this year? And "because I delayed it one year already" isn't a very good excuse.

LawperaMan

Bronze

Post by LawperaMan » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:01 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
LawperaMan wrote:Opportunity cost of delaying law school by one more year (and theoretically your post LS earnings) vs. the additional scholarship dollars you may receive (or better school you are accepted to).

What? The fact that the margin of error is 3 points has no impact on how one is affected by improving by even a single point on the actual test. I mean, seriously, you are saying that someone who scored a 167 needs to score at least a 172 "(probably more)" in order for a retake to be worth it.
Look, everyone values a year of his life differently. The OP indicated he is already accepted by his first choice school. He is not looking to jump a tier or crack the T-14. What will an extra 2 or 3 points get him in scholarships? $20K/year maybe? Is 60K worth a year of his professional life and earnings as a lawyer? Hell, I looked at your exact proposed numbers at UCLA (random selection and small sample size I know) the difference in scholarship dollars for people with similar GPA and LSAT scores of 167 vs. 172 was exactly $60K (60,000 vs 120,000). Depending on the stipulations, perhaps he should only bank on keeping his scholarship for one year which would mean a year of his life for 20K.

If this guy feels like his professional life has already been stuck on pause for a year, and he is contemplating remaining in a holding pattern for another year to reap the benefits of a second LSAT score, he's better be damned sure there will be a significant jump in scores to make the endeavor worthwhile. I would certainly say that it is not worth turning down the offer in hand unless he feels supremely confident he will score 5 points higher or better.

If he turns down his current acceptance, he also runs the risk of scoring lower the second time on the LSAT. Some schools average multiple LSATs, and even if they use only the highest in their statistical profiles, they will still see the more recent lower score, and I have to imagine that counts against an applicant at least a little. Or the school could jump 10 places in the rankings next year and calibrate their scholarships differently. Or a hundred other variables...

If he feels his ceiling is only 3 or 4 points higher than his current score, I would say he is better of enrolling and getting started on his career. At any rate, I would say that makes sense to deposit. If he then retakes in June and aces the test, he can reassess.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:07 pm

LawperaMan wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Look, everyone values a year of his life differently. The OP indicated he is already accepted by his first choice school. He is not looking to jump a tier or crack the T-14. What will an extra 2 or 3 points get him in scholarships? $20K/year maybe? Is 60K worth a year of his professional life and earnings as a lawyer? Hell, I looked at your exact proposed numbers at UCLA (random selection and small sample size I know) the difference in scholarship dollars for people with similar GPA and LSAT scores of 167 vs. 172 was exactly $60K (60,000 vs 120,000). Depending on the stipulations, perhaps he should only bank on keeping his scholarship for one year which would mean a year of his life for 20K.

If this guy feels like his professional life has already been stuck on pause for a year, and he is contemplating remaining in a holding pattern for another year to reap the benefits of a second LSAT score, he's better be damned sure there will be a significant jump in scores to make the endeavor worthwhile. I would certainly say that it is not worth turning down the offer in hand unless he feels supremely confident he will score 5 points higher or better.

If he turns down his current acceptance, he also runs the risk of scoring lower the second time on the LSAT. Some schools average multiple LSATs, and even if they use only the highest in their statistical profiles, they will still see the more recent lower score, and I have to imagine that counts against an applicant at least a little. Or the school could jump 10 places in the rankings next year and calibrate their scholarships differently. Or a hundred other variables...

If he feels his ceiling is only 3 or 4 points higher than his current score, I would say he is better of enrolling and getting started on his career. At any rate, I would say that makes sense to deposit. If he then retakes in June and aces the test, he can reassess.
Schools within ~40 spots of UCLA don't have TTT stips.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LawperaMan

Bronze

Post by LawperaMan » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:30 pm

Kabuo wrote:
Schools within ~40 spots of UCLA don't have TTT stips.
UCLA was a random example. We don't know which school the OP is considering. It could be NYLS for all I know.

If it is a school with no scholarship stipulations, 99% of my post still applies.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:01 pm

We don't necessarily disagree Lawperaman. The OP should retake the test in June while still depositing at his first choice school. If things go better than expected he should be in line for more scholarship money and potentially a better cycle next year if he decides to wait. If he gets the same score (or worse) no big deal. He goes to his first choice school.

tempur_three

New

Post by tempur_three » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:10 pm

I have a question about the other side of the coin: is it possible to gain better scholarships with a higher GPA? Say increasing by .05 from 3.8 to 3.85?

LawperaMan

Bronze

Post by LawperaMan » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:47 pm

tempur_three wrote:I have a question about the other side of the coin: is it possible to gain better scholarships with a higher GPA? Say increasing by .05 from 3.8 to 3.85?
#notsureifserious

I doubt a half point in GPA would matter...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:51 pm

tempur_three wrote:I have a question about the other side of the coin: is it possible to gain better scholarships with a higher GPA? Say increasing by .05 from 3.8 to 3.85?
If the school's median is between 3.81 and 3.85

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”