Scholarship offered...but not?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
fosterp

Scholarship offered...but not?

Postby fosterp » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:36 pm

I am wondering how often schools tell accepted applications that they are a potential scholarship recipient based on lsat/gpa but that all scholarship funds have already been awarded. This school advised that if I was seriously considering their school that I would have to ask to be reevaluated in april once they see how many offers have been taken.

At the same time I see people who are receiving acceptances around the same time getting nice $$ offers. So either they applied much earlier, or have much better stats? I am not sure.

I applied to my schools mid-december.

Scotusnerd

Re: Scholarship offered...but not?

Postby Scotusnerd » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:24 am

What you're doing is taking a calculated risk. My school told me I had to wait until Mid-March for scholarship info, but that I was in the running. They have offered a few full scholarships to other people from what I understand. That does not change the fact that I am likely to recieve money, and I have accepted that as a risk and paid the deposit.

Schools do this for a few reasons. One is that they have an idea of what their incoming class is by that point, and that everyone has paid their deposits. It's stressful on the students, but I think that it's the game you have to play to get in.

If I were a school, I wouldn't want to offer early scholarships to anyone but those I REALLY REALLY wanted, because some might accept, some might not, and some might never get back into contact with you until it's too late, tying up your money and making you risk overextending or underextending your funding.

That said, it's balls for us that want to know NOW. :(

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:27 am

I might find someone who's nicer and has a bit more money. They don't sound very interested in you, and a bit haughty.

You passed one of the hardest standardized tests available to undergraduates, spent what I hope is a lot of hours on your application and personal statement. You're interested in paying a lot of money for an important product. Don't settle for some shit admissions department that doesn't take you seriously.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:31 am

In your situation, it may be a case of yield protection. An LSAT score of 170 is high for Lewis & Clark so adcomms may not want to tie up scholarship funds on one who is likely to attend elsewhere. The school's response noting that "if you were seriously considering their school" is an indicator that they view you as an unlikely matriculant.

Return to “Financial Aid”