Parents and FAFSA Need Based Aid

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
btw384

Parents and FAFSA Need Based Aid

Postby btw384 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:35 pm

I've got a question about need-based financial aid that hopefully someone can answer for me.

I know that in order to qualify for need-based aid at one of the schools I have been admitted to, I have to fill out the parental section of my FAFSA. Since I don't need to do it for any of the other schools I have been accepted at, I am hesitant to fill out the parental section because I don't want to harm my need-based aid at my other schools.

If I fill out the parental section on my FAFSA, will other schools see this info as well? Will they take my parental information into account when they otherwise would not have required it? I definitely need the aid at this school if it is available, but I don't want to diminish need-based aid at other schools in the process.

rinkrat19

Re: Parents and FAFSA Need Based Aid

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:37 pm

btw384 wrote:I've got a question about need-based financial aid that hopefully someone can answer for me.

I know that in order to qualify for need-based aid at one of the schools I have been admitted to, I have to fill out the parental section of my FAFSA. Since I don't need to do it for any of the other schools I have been accepted at, I am hesitant to fill out the parental section because I don't want to harm my need-based aid at my other schools.

If I fill out the parental section on my FAFSA, will other schools see this info as well? Will they take my parental information into account when they otherwise would not have required it? I definitely need the aid at this school if it is available, but I don't want to diminish need-based aid at other schools in the process.
Submit the FAFSA without parental info to all the schools that don't require it. Wait a day or two until you get the cofirmation that it went through. Open your FAFSA back up, add the parental info, delete the first schools from your list, and submit it only to the one school that requires it.

btw384

Re: Parents and FAFSA Need Based Aid

Postby btw384 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:34 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
btw384 wrote:I've got a question about need-based financial aid that hopefully someone can answer for me.

Submit the FAFSA without parental info to all the schools that don't require it. Wait a day or two until you get the cofirmation that it went through. Open your FAFSA back up, add the parental info, delete the first schools from your list, and submit it only to the one school that requires it.

Awesome. Thanks for your help.

Return to “Financial Aid”