No more subsidized Stafford loans, correct? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
WhiteGuy5

Silver

No more subsidized Stafford loans, correct?

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:36 pm

...for graduate/professional schools starting this year?

TatteredDignity

Gold

Re: No more subsidized Stafford loans, correct?

Post by TatteredDignity » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:45 pm

Starting 2012-13 academic year.

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:46 pm

0LNewbie wrote:Starting 2012-13 academic year.
Rubbish.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:49 pm

What exactly does this mean in terms of loan availability? I am not familiar with the student loan process and am interested in how much of an impact this will have on students already enrolled in the program.

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:18 pm

it just means everyone must go through either unsubsidized loans (interest starting now), gradplus loans, or a private loan of some sort.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:04 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Rubbish.
Not sure what your issue with this is. The elimination goes into effect July 1st, meaning spring and summer classes this year aren't affected.

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:10 pm

0LNewbie wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Rubbish.
Not sure what your issue with this is. The elimination goes into effect July 1st, meaning spring and summer classes this year aren't affected.
I'll be a 1L in the fall...meaning my class JUST missed the boat, making it that much more rubbish.

sidhesadie

Bronze

Post by sidhesadie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:37 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Rubbish.
I'll be a 1L in the fall...meaning my class JUST missed the boat, making it that much more rubbish.
Well your class only missed the boat for one year...it goes into effect for everyone regardless of when you started. My class' loans for this year (2011-2012) contain the subsidized portion, but all ours are unsubsidized for next year too. There's no grandfather clause for people who already 'started' a program. There are simply no subsidized loans for grad school beginning Fall 2012. For anyone. So it's not like you'd have gotten three years of subsidized loans by starting a year earlier.

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:44 pm

sidhesadie wrote: Well your class only missed the boat for one year...it goes into effect for everyone regardless of when you started. My class' loans for this year (2011-2012) contain the subsidized portion, but all ours are unsubsidized for next year too. There's no grandfather clause for people who already 'started' a program. There are simply no subsidized loans for grad school beginning Fall 2012. For anyone. So it's not like you'd have gotten three years of subsidized loans by starting a year earlier.
I don't know where these huge presumptions about my misconceptions of the loans are coming from.

You had it for one year...I won't have it for any. It still sucks more for my class than the previous ones by the mere fact that we won't have it anymore, at all, for any period of time. Ever.

Would've been nice to have, but not that big of a deal. It's done. It's over. Let's drop it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”