NYU Tax LLM- Scholarships Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
luthersloan

Bronze

NYU Tax LLM- Scholarships

Post by luthersloan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:58 pm

Does anyone know how competitive the merit scholarships at NYU are? I am a current NYU student planning on applying to the LLM program but for obvious unemployed 3L related reasons, trying to get a sense of how much it will cost.

Thanks.

patrickd139

Gold

Re: NYU Tax LLM- Scholarships

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:18 pm

They're extremely difficult to get. Usually, they go to those who are (as a rule) more than capable of landing the employment opportunities your post suggests you don't have at the moment. I'd plan on paying full sticker plus COL in NY.

If you're interested in scholarships, maybe apply to NYU and GULC, then leverage for scholarships at GULC. Anecdotally, I know of one person who did just that. If you want an LLM in Tax on the cheap, best bet is UF.

Unsolicited advice: Slide on over to taxtalent.com to get a feel for what the hiring market is right now. Depending on what your career aspirations are, it may not make sense to throw good money after bad by getting an LLM. Consensus says, if you're not an attractive candidate for biglaw out of law school (esp. one like NYU), getting an LLM will not help.

luthersloan

Bronze

Post by luthersloan » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:14 am

Thanks, that is an interesting perspective. From a pure numbers standpoint I am an attractive biglaw candidate (10% grades, okay work experience both summers, secondary journal board, etc). So I am not sure how a school will evaluate my alternative options.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:23 am

I can't imagine how busting your ass for the next few months as a top 10% NYU student won't land you something infinitely more attractive than dropping $50k-75k on an NYU LLM.

luthersloan

Bronze

Post by luthersloan » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:33 am

patrickd139 wrote:I can't imagine how busting your ass for the next few months as a top 10% NYU student won't land you something infinitely more attractive than dropping $50k-75k on an NYU LLM.
You might be kind of surprised. Big law hiring is basically over (to the extent there ever was any), same thing with federal clerkship. That leaves sort of low paying mid-law, which I am uninterested in for other reasons.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:37 am

luthersloan wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:I can't imagine how busting your ass for the next few months as a top 10% NYU student won't land you something infinitely more attractive than dropping $50k-75k on an NYU LLM.
You might be kind of surprised. Big law hiring is basically over (to the extent there ever was any), same thing with federal clerkship. That leaves sort of low paying mid-law, which I am uninterested in for other reasons.
If you want to stay in NYC, I agree completely.

luthersloan

Bronze

Post by luthersloan » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:38 am

The NYC thing certainly makes it worse, but biglaw everywhere seems to be done. So I am not really sure it changes the analysis overall.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”