For $ negotiation, what are Cornell's peer schools?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
horrorbusiness

For $ negotiation, what are Cornell's peer schools?

Postby horrorbusiness » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:34 pm

What schools will Cornell even look at money from? I'd assume all the schools ranked above it, but I don't even know if that's true. And for the schools ranked below, I have no idea. So far I have a 35k/year scholarship from Boston U, but I'm guessing Cornell doesn't consider them peer.

KMaine

Re: For $ negotiation, what are Cornell's peer schools?

Postby KMaine » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:36 pm

Great offer from BU. I don't think they consider it a peer, but I still may mention it to them, it may get you a little bit.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:38 pm

I would assume Duke, Berkeley, and Northwestern. Maybe Georgetown.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:39 pm

It won't hurt to try with any offer you have bro

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:39 pm

KMaine wrote:Great offer from BU. I don't think they consider it a peer, but I still may mention it to them, it may get you a little bit.

Excellent, thanks. Since I already know you're a Cornell student... do you think there's a chance that Cornell will offer me money, later on, on their own? I didn't get any initial scholarship offer.

On paper, I'm extremely poor, is there a chance I'll get some elusive need-based (or any other type) grant? I know people say those only exist at HYS.

edit: 167/3.37/mexican, so probably not in the running for a huge merit scholarship or anything. i have checked LSN, seems like there's a couple of URMs last year that got $ who have around my numbers.

also, seems like no applicants from this year have any scholarship info yet, besides those that are in the running for dean's scholarship. guess i've got to wait a while, submit all my fin. aid paperwork and see what other offers i get.

edit2: according to this guide viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373 a URM with my index # would be looking at ~$75k total. we'll see!

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:59 pm

Yeah, I think that your MA status could help. First, fill out their financial aid packet, make sure to do everything. I think that my aid was partially based on merit, and partially based on need. Don't be afraid to call and ask when they will be making financial aid decisions, and like Grizz said, show them any offers that you have. They actually increased my offer when I asked despite the fact that I got less $ from other t-14s. It is kind of a black box, so there is no telling why some people get more $ when they ask and some do not. I think alot has to do with timing, and who they need for the class at any particular moment (high LSAT, high GPA, member of a particular URM group).

Are you interested in practicing in Boston, NY, elsewhere? Feel free to PM me if you would like.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:59 pm

I'd imagine Cornell's peers are Duke, Northwestern and Georgetown, but any offers from schools in the higher groups (i.e. YHSCCNMVPB) will certainly only help.

MAapplicant

Postby MAapplicant » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:16 pm

Generally, when and how (i.e. phone, email, etc.) should one try to negotiate for $?

Return to “Financial Aid”