FAFSA and parent information

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
hartma25

FAFSA and parent information

Postby hartma25 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:17 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to provide parent information on the FAFSA only for the schools that request it?

Champion

Re: FAFSA and parent information

Postby Champion » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:03 pm

hartma25 wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to provide parent information on the FAFSA only for the schools that request it?

This is a great question. I don't think you can though, because once you submit the FAFSA I don't think that your able to change that information. So if you don't provide it that could possibly mean losing out on need based aid on those schools that require it, but maybe getting more at schools that don't?

Either way, I'm just going to add on my parents information and roll with that.

Edit: (New Info). This is from the FAFSA website "some colleges may require information about your parents to determine your eligibility for college aid. However, answering these questions will not affect your eligibility for federal student aid, such as a Federal Pell Grant".

dudders

Postby dudders » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:22 pm

Yes you can. You just have to bulk your FAFSA into two transactions. File with just your info for the schools who don't require it, and wait a couple of days for the confirmation. Then amend your FAFSA by adding the parent info, and send only to the schools who did want it. (Or vice versa.)

I did exactly this the year I applied.

Virgil777

Postby Virgil777 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:18 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by Virgil777 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dudders

Postby dudders » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:22 pm

Virgil777 wrote:So if we DO file parental information for schools that do not need it, will they simply ignore it?

Probably not, don't do it.

Virgil777 wrote:I know I have the option to add parental information to specific schools by removing other schools from my FAFSA list, but doesn't that effectively remove my FAFSA from those schools?

No. Once your FAFSA is confirmed as submitted, it's submitted. You have to do more than one FAFSA transaction anyway if you apply to more than 10 schools; this is the same thing you can just selectively change the information.

Virgil777

Postby Virgil777 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:25 pm

Deleted.

Return to “Financial Aid”