I need help..I'm completely lost and broke :( Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Jolly_J88

New

I need help..I'm completely lost and broke :(

Post by Jolly_J88 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:12 pm

Okay, I know there are a lot of intelligent people on this website, so please forgive me if my question is stupid. I've been out of undergrad for a year and a half, and have been working at various internships. Couldn't find a salaried position, so I've just been scraping by, studying for the LSAT, paying bills.....

I'm applying to schools now, and I know my numbers are good enough to get me into at least a couple of tier one schools, but with zero money. My father filed for bankruptcy a couple of months ago, and was approved. I live at home, and am still considered his dependent. Even though I don't make a lot, I still help them with the mortgage and paying for my little brothers college courses. Are there are any scholarships for people in my situation? Whose family is just recently going through financial hardships? My dad has a very high salary, and his filing for bankruptcy is due to some situations we didn't have control over.

Should I send the schools I'm serious about attending a statement explaining my situation? Basically I have no money saved up, have a little bit of credit card debt (under 1,000) and still need to help them get through the next couple of years, so can't afford to take out a crazy amount of loans, and be crushed with interest. So stressed. Please help, provide assurance, anything positive please.

kaiser

Gold

Re: I need help..I'm completely lost and broke :(

Post by kaiser » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:15 pm

All the schools will tell you is that they have generous financial assistance programs (i.e. loans) that will ensure that every penny of school is covered while you are attending.

charliep

Bronze

Post by charliep » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:25 pm

i think most people, myself included, don't have the money to pay for law school

MachineLemon

Bronze

Post by MachineLemon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:31 pm

Sorry about your situation. If I read your post correctly, it seems that you are still waiting for an LSAT score. If that's the case, just keep focused on that for now. That, more than financial need, will help you pay for law school.

To my knowledge, need generally just qualifies you for loans. There might be grant money out there from other organizations directed at people in your situation. Worth a look.

MachineLemon

Bronze

Post by MachineLemon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:33 pm

Also, what's your undergrad degree in? Might be more job opportunities out there than you imagine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:45 pm

Jolly_J88 wrote:Okay, I know there are a lot of intelligent people on this website, so please forgive me if my question is stupid. I've been out of undergrad for a year and a half, and have been working at various internships. Couldn't find a salaried position, so I've just been scraping by, studying for the LSAT, paying bills.....

I'm applying to schools now, and I know my numbers are good enough to get me into at least a couple of tier one schools, but with zero money. My father filed for bankruptcy a couple of months ago, and was approved. I live at home, and am still considered his dependent. Even though I don't make a lot, I still help them with the mortgage and paying for my little brothers college courses. Are there are any scholarships for people in my situation? Whose family is just recently going through financial hardships? My dad has a very high salary, and his filing for bankruptcy is due to some situations we didn't have control over.

Should I send the schools I'm serious about attending a statement explaining my situation? Basically I have no money saved up, have a little bit of credit card debt (under 1,000) and still need to help them get through the next couple of years, so can't afford to take out a crazy amount of loans, and be crushed with interest. So stressed. Please help, provide assurance, anything positive please.
Most people get close to no support from their family for law school. You aren't special, and other than a few elite schools with massive endowments, you won't get anything more than loans.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:11 pm

Jolly_J88 wrote:Okay, I know there are a lot of intelligent people on this website, so please forgive me if my question is stupid. I've been out of undergrad for a year and a half, and have been working at various internships. Couldn't find a salaried position, so I've just been scraping by, studying for the LSAT, paying bills......
I feel for your situation, I really do. I can relate.
you need to Suck it the fuck up. You sound like half the people in this country. Most people's parents can't pay for their tuition/living expenses during law school. Welcome to the real world. I've been out of undergrad for 2 years, and I literally have had 30 cents to my name for the past week, but ya know what?, I figured it the fuck out. That's part of being a grown up.
You are going to have to take out federal loans, and if those don't cover it, you may have to go to the bank and ask for additional loans.
If you want to minimize loans then apply to schools where you are over their 75th percentile on LSAT and GPA. The schools where you are over their 75th percentile are the onese where you will pick up the biggest schollys. Also, if you are still shitting your pants about not having enough cash, then you should apply for a part-time program and wait tables on the side. Good luck having time to study for your classes since a lot of part-time programs are only one or two courses less than full-time.
You'll figure it out :lol:
or don't be a law student.

bllardw

New

Post by bllardw » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:46 am

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
Jolly_J88 wrote:Okay, I know there are a lot of intelligent people on this website, so please forgive me if my question is stupid. I've been out of undergrad for a year and a half, and have been working at various internships. Couldn't find a salaried position, so I've just been scraping by, studying for the LSAT, paying bills......
I feel for your situation, I really do. I can relate.
you need to Suck it the fuck up. You sound like half the people in this country. Most people's parents can't pay for their tuition/living expenses during law school. Welcome to the real world. I've been out of undergrad for 2 years, and I literally have had 30 cents to my name for the past week, but ya know what?, I figured it the fuck out. That's part of being a grown up.
You are going to have to take out federal loans, and if those don't cover it, you may have to go to the bank and ask for additional loans.
If you want to minimize loans then apply to schools where you are over their 75th percentile on LSAT and GPA. The schools where you are over their 75th percentile are the onese where you will pick up the biggest schollys. Also, if you are still shitting your pants about not having enough cash, then you should apply for a part-time program and wait tables on the side. Good luck having time to study for your classes since a lot of part-time programs are only one or two courses less than full-time.
You'll figure it out :lol:
or don't be a law student.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”