GI Bill for UVA

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
willwash

GI Bill for UVA

Postby willwash » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:00 pm

Here's my conundrum. Everything I've read (and availability of info is atrocious) says the GI Bill will pay tuition up to the in-state rates of the most expensive public school or up to 17,500 for a private school. I'm assuming this is all undergrad rates, and no one seems to have a clue how this applies to law school. UVA costs 42,000 a year for in-state, though it is public. And their Yellow Ribbon contribution sucks ($6,000) Would I therefore get the private school rate of 17,500, plus $6,000 YR, plus $6,000 YR matching, meaning $29,500 total (leaving some serious scratch to pay out of pocket!)?

J-e-L-L-o

Re: GI Bill for UVA

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:54 pm

Where does the extra 6k come from? I would think, based on what you said it would be private school cost + 6k yellow ribbon. You would receive a monthly stipend of BAH rate for where the school is physically located. That sounds about right. Email, call, or visit if you can the veterans affair office at the school, I'm sure they can give you the skinny w/o tipping off admissions about the information you are after.

6k match sucks. I live in California, and Stanford and USC are committed to yellow ribbon as they match the top public school rate to pay for their expensive private price tags for undergrad. Not only that but LA area bah rate is 2100 a month (with SF area even more). I would hate to waste my G.I. Bill on an east coast school.

You would have to check with the veterans office though for exact policy. Who knows, they could have different amounts for U.G. vs graduate and professional degrees.

I am a veteran undergrad about to use my G.I. bill. Send me a p.m. if you want to know about west coast schools.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:01 pm

Try to match with military friendly private schools. I know Columbia is also a great yellow ribbon and military friendly school.

willwash

Postby willwash » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:35 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:Try to match with military friendly private schools. I know Columbia is also a great yellow ribbon and military friendly school.

Unfortunately, given my 3.49 UGPA, I am relying on a stellar (170+) LSAT, my Virginia residency, and an ED app as the only possible way to get me into the top 10. I'm pretty sure Columbia would throw my app in the trash without a second look even if I scored 180.

r2b2ct

Postby r2b2ct » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:41 pm

It looks like the GI Bill public school coverage now applies to grad school/doctorate programs as well as undergrad. I think you will get 100% of in-state tuition for UVA Law (42,000).

Read the first question here:
--LinkRemoved--

I agree you should still call, but honestly it seems pretty clear to me.

willwash

Postby willwash » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:27 pm

r2b2ct wrote:It looks like the GI Bill public school coverage now applies to grad school/doctorate programs as well as undergrad. I think you will get 100% of in-state tuition for UVA Law (42,000).

Read the first question here:
--LinkRemoved--

I agree you should still call, but honestly it seems pretty clear to me.

Wow. It looks like you're right. I thought it was bullshit that I could go to HLS for cheaper than UVA as a resident (HLS has Yellow Ribbon up to 100% of total law school costs)

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:11 am

Like I said lol.

Return to “Financial Aid”