What happens if I file FAFSA and then take a year off?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Gail

What happens if I file FAFSA and then take a year off?

Postby Gail » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:37 pm

I'm not sure that I'm going to go to law school right after Senior year.

If I can get a job, I might just retake in June and go for 2012 cycle. I'm 166/3.6~, I have above average (but below 50k) debt from UG. If I don't get a big scholarship (25k - 40k per year) I cannot go to law school.

If I file now and then decide not to go, what happens? Given my situation should I wait until I see scholarships?

JamMasterJ

Re: What happens if I file FAFSA and then take a year off?

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:44 pm

I'd retake, because you seem to be in a similar position to what I was in last cycle. Retook, and am looking at WAY better schools now.

As far as FAFSA, you have to refile every year, so it makes no difference

Gail

Postby Gail » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:39 pm

I'm leaning towards that (just worried about finding the job thing, which is so much easier said than done, you think legal employment markets are bad, I'm getting pounded in interviews, I might have to just take a management trainee job making like $30,000 and wanting to jump off of a bridge).

But should I file for FAFSA even if I'm not going to go and I know that in advance? I guess I have to go to the dungeon soon (my school's FA office) and talk to them. I suppose I do remember accepting and rejecting rewards, so if I get accepted for FA, and reject, those loans don't count

paul34

Postby paul34 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:55 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gail

Postby Gail » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:04 pm

Well, every job for me has been a scam.

Usually its a trainee job at a retail store or a truck leasing company. God help me if I have to do Enterprise Rent-A-Car, but if I must, I must. I know the sales jobs that you're talking about. Things like Northwestern Mutual or CollegePro. NO... Just no. I would rather be on the street than be suckered into that stuff.

paul34

Postby paul34 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:15 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gail

Postby Gail » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:27 pm

I've always tried to live my life by a buyer-beware attitude. Even with all of my student loans now, I think about how bad it could have been if I hadn't gone to the lower-end state school as opposed to UIUC or some private place charging $25k a semester.

This is why I'm being extremely cautious about law school. It is my dream, but dreams don't pay the bills. Even if I'm bringing in a pittance, if I can bump my score up by just 3 points, maybe increase my gpa by .0something in this last year, and then get a few years of my debt erased by working while living like a hobbit, I'll do it.

EDIT:

Also, I think that ERAC pays while you're in the trainee program. If not... I'll look for a different managment program. I'm not doing the trainee to become a manager, just to make money.

james_blocker

Postby james_blocker » Tue May 22, 2012 12:01 am

Answer to the post below: because I'm dumb.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Tue May 22, 2012 12:03 am

I mean, I understand spam. I don't like it, but I get it. But why are you spamming a 6 month old thread?

Return to “Financial Aid”