receiving money from law schools... many questions

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
hookem12
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:54 am

receiving money from law schools... many questions

Postby hookem12 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:46 am

I realize that I am woefully uninformed about financial aid, but as there's no catch-all post in this thread, I figured I would just post my question. I've gone to UT for the past 4 years, where tuition is less than a nice handbag per semester, so I haven't explored any avenues of scholarship or aid. While I have the means to take care of law school expenses, it looks like I have a decent shot of getting at least some sort of scholarship or tuition money at some of the schools I'm looking into. I know I have to fill out a FAFSA in order to be considered to receive money from a school, but if they decide to offer an incentive based on merit, will they write that in their acceptance letter? Would I have to contact their financial aid office once I'm accepted? I'm just confused as to how any of this works, and I apologize for this in advance, but if anyone has any answers, I'd really appreciate it.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: receiving money from law schools... many questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:18 am

This varies by school. Some put it in the acceptance letter but most do it after and notify you of the award. Some may require you to apply while others its automatic.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: receiving money from law schools... many questions

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:31 am

blowhard wrote:This varies by school. Some put it in the acceptance letter but most do it after and notify you of the award. Some may require you to apply while others its automatic.

This. It does vary by school. However, I believe most schools typically offer them automatically, since merit aid isn't really based on financial need. There can be big differences in when/how they notify you.

If you name particular schools, people might be able to tell you what they each historically have done. That will give you some idea what to expect.

hookem12
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:54 am

Re: receiving money from law schools... many questions

Postby hookem12 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:47 am

vanwinkle wrote:
blowhard wrote:This varies by school. Some put it in the acceptance letter but most do it after and notify you of the award. Some may require you to apply while others its automatic.

This. It does vary by school. However, I believe most schools typically offer them automatically, since merit aid isn't really based on financial need. There can be big differences in when/how they notify you.

If you name particular schools, people might be able to tell you what they each historically have done. That will give you some idea what to expect.


Thanks! The schools I'd imagine I could get some form of merit-based scholarship from would be UW-Seattle, UGA, and SMU. My stats are a 3.65 and a 169 so I don't think I'll get any money from schools higher in the ranking system, but I was just curious.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: receiving money from law schools... many questions

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:58 am

hookem12 wrote:Thanks! The schools I'd imagine I could get some form of merit-based scholarship from would be UW-Seattle, UGA, and SMU. My stats are a 3.65 and a 169 so I don't think I'll get any money from schools higher in the ranking system, but I was just curious.

UW is one of the curious exceptions; you have to do a full post-acceptance application to be considered for merit or other financial aid. I believe SMU will notify you automatically.

However, with a 3.65/169 you can get money at better schools. Even UT-Austin would be a good deal for you if you can get in; from what I remember, their in-state tuition is so low it's like receiving a big scholarship compared to schools elsewhere.

msuz
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:17 am

Re: receiving money from law schools... many questions

Postby msuz » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:19 pm

I also have many Q's... So if I am accepted without an offer via email/voice mail, should I contact the admissions rep or wait until the official letter is mailed to my home?

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: receiving money from law schools... many questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:25 pm

msuz wrote:I also have many Q's... So if I am accepted without an offer via email/voice mail, should I contact the admissions rep or wait until the official letter is mailed to my home?


blowhard wrote:This varies by school. Some put it in the acceptance letter but most do it after and notify you of the award.

msuz
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:17 am

Re: receiving money from law schools... many questions

Postby msuz » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:39 pm

^LOL, my bad. Does the answer change if I ask about a timeline though? Is is possible that I could be waiting until March to hear about scholly $?

I am curious because I have to start paying back my UG loans in December and am pretty pressed for money right now. If I am enrolled at a law school, however, I can defer my loan payments to after law school. I am assuming that "accepted" is not the same as "enrolled."

admisionquestion
Posts: 473
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:16 am

Re: receiving money from law schools... many questions

Postby admisionquestion » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:25 pm

If we have heard back from Michigan, UVA, Duke and Georgetown when might we hear about money?

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: receiving money from law schools... many questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:26 pm

admisionquestion wrote:If we have heard back from Michigan, UVA, Duke and Georgetown when might we hear about money?


Michigan is like Jan if I remember right.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: receiving money from law schools... many questions

Postby IAFG » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:28 pm

Sometimes you won't get money until you ask for it. If you don't get aid from one school but do get money at a peer, don't be afraid to ask.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest