TT scholarships with NO stips?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
cedarseoul

TT scholarships with NO stips?

Postby cedarseoul » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:48 pm

I'm applying primarily to TT schools...I mean, a few top 50 schools as well, but I'm looking for maximum $$ and my numbers (164/3.93) don't exactly position me for a full ride at T14. :)

I've already received a few offers, but I'm finding (personally and through research) that the majority of schools in the 50-100 range impose stipulations on scholarships, including full tuition offers...

I'm not necessarily intimidated by a reasonable stipulation, but given GPA curves and the like, I want to be careful.

Any suggestions for TT schools (or lower-end top tier schools) that do NOT impose stipulations on their top scholarships, OR that impose only very mild stips? OR schools that have expressed willingness to negotiate on this point?

minuit

Re: TT scholarships with NO stips?

Postby minuit » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:57 pm

FSU

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:05 pm

You would get a full ride at IU if you care.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:11 pm

I'm not sure I know any school TT or otherwise that has no stips, almost everyone at least requires good standing, but that's pretty reasonable.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:33 pm

Is telling you to retake worth it, because four more points would get a bunch of money at a T20 and at least admittance to Cornell.

top30man

Postby top30man » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:36 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Is telling you to retake worth it, because four more points would get a bunch of money at a T20 and at least admittance to Cornell.

This. A few points makes a huge difference.

minuit

Postby minuit » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:52 pm

cinephile wrote:I'm not sure I know any school TT or otherwise that has no stips, almost everyone at least requires good standing, but that's pretty reasonable.

FSU! Just checked my scholarship letter again, it says nothing about any stips or even good standing. Takes some pressure off at least.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:58 pm

cinephile wrote:I'm not sure I know any school TT or otherwise that has no stips, almost everyone at least requires good standing, but that's pretty reasonable.

There is a significant difference between good standing at most schools and the rank/GPA requirements that most schools outside of the T30 put on thier scholarships.

top30man

Postby top30man » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

There is a significant difference between good standing at most schools and the rank/GPA requirements that most schools outside of the T30 put on thier scholarships.

Good standing is very generous. For example W and M just requires you be in the top 80 percent or so. Stips are a whole other creature.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:12 pm

top30man wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

Good standing is very generous. For example W and M just requires you be in the top 80 percent or so. Stips are a whole other creature.

This is all true, I just meant to make the point that you generally can't keep a scholarship if you're failing all of your classes.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:16 pm

top30man wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

Bottom 20% at w&m are not in good standing? Or is that the scholarship stipulation? Im under the impression that good standing at most schools that aren't TTTs is like 99% since it's so hard to fail out. Example: Good standing at UT is 1.9 and above. While some people do drop out for one reason or another, I haven't heard of anyone actually failing out. I guess it can happen, but I would think it's pretty rare.

top30man

Postby top30man » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:22 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
top30man wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

Bottom 20% at w&m are not in good standing? Or is that the scholarship stipulation? Im under the impression that good standing at most schools that aren't TTTs is like 99% since it's so hard to fail out. Example: Good standing at UT is 1.9 and above. While some people do drop out for one reason or another, I haven't heard of anyone actually failing out. I guess it can happen, but I would think it's pretty rare.

It's a low B average. I was giving a worst case scenario. More than 80 percent will keep ther scholarship. I should have worded that more clearly.

cedarseoul

Postby cedarseoul » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:37 pm

Yeah, I am certainly okay with a "good standing" requirement, but I don't want to inadvertently accept an offer that requires top 25% or something...because you never know, right?

Thanks for the tips regarding FSU and IU (is that Indiana Bloomington?).

Incidentally, my 164 score was a retake score...first time around I scored 153. I imagine I could do better...I scored high 160s on practice tests. But I don't really have time to practice any more right now, so I'm going to accept my fate and thank my lucky stars that I pulled it together the second time around...

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:47 pm

cedarseoul wrote:Yeah, I am certainly okay with a "good standing" requirement, but I don't want to inadvertently accept an offer that requires top 25% or something...because you never know, right?

Thanks for the tips regarding FSU and IU (is that Indiana Bloomington?).

Incidentally, my 164 score was a retake score...first time around I scored 153. I imagine I could do better...I scored high 160s on practice tests. But I don't really have time to practice any more right now, so I'm going to accept my fate and thank my lucky stars that I pulled it together the second time around...

You can always plan on doing a retake in June. This would offer two potential benefits for the current cycle: 1) Help get you a WL, and 2) help you leverage more money (though funds will probably be more limited at this time). You also have an option of sitting out the year and reapplying if your score is substantially better.

My personal story: I had 2 takes (Oct/Dec), got WL'd by my top choice school. Decided to retake in June a few days before the sign-up deadline, after I had gotten my practice scores up substantially. Ended up scoring 8 points higher in June, which resulted in getting off the WL for my top choice school with either 12k/year scholarship. (I ended up waiting a cycle to reapply and ultimately chose to attend that same school with 20k/yr of scholarships+grants.)

Retaking in June is a low stress, swing-for-the-fences backup that may work out really well for you.

jeff5170

Postby jeff5170 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:50 pm

Last edited by jeff5170 on Wed May 21, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:54 pm

Something to keep in mind: A second tier school with a full ride (no stips) would be a decent option, but not if it means moving across the country to an area you have no ties in. Also, you don't want to go to one if it is in a saturated market. Outside of the top schools, law schools are pretty regional.

If I were you, I would look for a respectable school in your region that will give you a full ride, and negotiate on any potential stipulation.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:55 pm

romothesavior wrote:Something to keep in mind: A second tier school with a full ride (no stips) would be a decent option, but not if it means moving across the country to an area you have no ties in. Also, you don't want to go to one if it is in a saturated market. Outside of the top schools, law schools are pretty regional. Going to FSU if you're from Michigan would make no sense.

If I were you, I would look for a respectable school in your region that will give you a full ride, and negotiate on any potential stipulation.

SUCO

Postby SUCO » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:13 am

Villanova just gave out a wave of scholarship offers that only require good standing (2.0)

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:14 am

Listen....

Retake.

If you don't do better then ED to UVA.

Enjoy.

Postby 20130312 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:51 am

SUCO wrote:Villanova just gave out a wave of scholarship offers that only require good standing (2.0)

I got one of these. It's basically a scholly with no stip. If you are below 2.0, you should probably drop out anyway.

Return to “Financial Aid”