Need-based grants?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
msuz
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:17 am

Need-based grants?

Postby msuz » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:40 am

My financial situation in undergrad was terrible and I take care of an unemployed family member, so I ended up having most of my college paid for through need-based grants. I know this may seem like a dumb question but I can't really find the exact information Im looking for...

Do people with extreme financial need qualify for need-based grants similar to those in undergrad, or after I file my FAFSA, will I only qualify for low-interest Federal loans? Also, is the best way to go about applying for need-based scholarships/grants from individual schools simply to contact each individual financial aid office? I would like to know because debt will be a huge factor in my decision for law school, so knowing what grants/other aid I qualify for at each school is very important.

I'm hoping to also qualify for merit-based scholarships, so I know about and understand those. But if there is any more general info that people can give me on need-based grants/scholarships, I would greatly appreciate it.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Need-based grants?

Postby MrAnon » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:43 am

I've never heard of need based grants for law school. I think you can make a case for need-based money for a college degree, but law school? Merit scholarships abound but look for a guaranteed one lasting three years.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Need-based grants?

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:46 am

HYS all do need-based aid exclusively

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Need-based grants?

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:36 am

Penn State offerd me a need-based grant in addition to a merit schorlaship.

User avatar
Yeshia90
Posts: 988
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Need-based grants?

Postby Yeshia90 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:46 am

MrAnon wrote:I've never heard of need based grants for law school.


On multiple applications that I filled out, there was a section asking whether I'd be applying for need-based financial aid. Others have requested I send in my FAFSA. And speaking with a Columbia admissions representative yesterday, I was informed that they only gave need-based scholarships.

Wrong again, MrAnon.

msuz
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:17 am

Re: Need-based grants?

Postby msuz » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:47 am

DocHawkeye wrote:Penn State offerd me a need-based grant in addition to a merit schorlaship.

Did you just fill out the FAFSA and they included the NBG in your offer, or did you talk about financial need in your PS, or do anything else special?

msuz
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:17 am

Re: Need-based grants?

Postby msuz » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:49 am

Yeshia90 wrote:
MrAnon wrote:I've never heard of need based grants for law school.


On multiple applications that I filled out, there was a section asking whether I'd be applying for need-based financial aid. Others have requested I send in my FAFSA. And speaking with a Columbia admissions representative yesterday, I was informed that they only gave need-based scholarships.

Wrong again, MrAnon.

Thanks!

For the schools that requested you send in FAFSA, did you ask them first about need-based grants or did they ask without you ever inquiring?

User avatar
sanguar
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Need-based grants?

Postby sanguar » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:51 am

msuz wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:Penn State offerd me a need-based grant in addition to a merit schorlaship.

Did you just fill out the FAFSA and they included the NBG in your offer, or did you talk about financial need in your PS, or do anything else special?



It really depends on the school. Some have a special need-based application that is school specific. There's also another one--NeedAccess--that a lot of schools use in addition to the usual FAFSA. After you narrow down where you'll apply you can check out the individual needs. I think a lot needed the forms around mid-February.

User avatar
Yeshia90
Posts: 988
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Need-based grants?

Postby Yeshia90 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:56 am

msuz wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:
MrAnon wrote:I've never heard of need based grants for law school.


On multiple applications that I filled out, there was a section asking whether I'd be applying for need-based financial aid. Others have requested I send in my FAFSA. And speaking with a Columbia admissions representative yesterday, I was informed that they only gave need-based scholarships.

Wrong again, MrAnon.

Thanks!

For the schools that requested you send in FAFSA, did you ask them first about need-based grants or did they ask without you ever inquiring?


Well, once I got into Duke, they basically sent an email saying, "We can either send you your acceptance materials now, or you can wait until you send in scholarship and need assistance forms," which wouldn't be available until the new year. I hadn't requested financial aid before that.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest