Paying undergrad loans before law school?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
HarveyBirdman

Paying undergrad loans before law school?

Postby HarveyBirdman » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:50 am

I plan to take two years to work after I finish college, but before enrolling in law school. I have undergrad loans totaling somewhere around 25,000-30,000 (too afraid to look at the interest that has been accruing to know exactly). My question is, should I try to pay those down as much as possible during my 2 year break, or should I just make the minimum payments (which I believe are still gonna be around $250 a month!), and try to save for law school? What is more advantageous in the long run?

Another thing curious to note is my estimated date of graduation on my statement says something like 2015...I graduate this year though. I think because I transferred schools, I was somehow reset to a freshman status when I was really a junior/senior. So when I'm done with school in a few months, is Sallie Mae going to know? Or will they just keep sending me statements saying "here's the interest accrued, and oh ya you gotta start paying this back in 2015."

BruceDenton

Re: Paying undergrad loans before law school?

Postby BruceDenton » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:30 am

My highly-informed advice would be to pay as much of them off UNLESS you think you could invest that money and make more $$$$ (if you're financially savvy).

BruceDenton

Re: Paying undergrad loans before law school?

Postby BruceDenton » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:31 am

But really I would pay as much off as possible.

Return to “Financial Aid”