Deleted

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Bronte

Re: Donate an Egg to Help Pay for Law School

Postby Bronte » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:37 pm

Lol, sperm and egg donation is a personal choice. But why pretend you are not having a child when you do so? There's going to be person in the world that has half of your DNA and half of someone else's, which is precisely what "having a child" is. The kid's not your responsibility, but he or she is still out there.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:37 pm

dr123 wrote:Fuck yea, if I was a woman I would have sold my eggs a long time ago, you get good money for those things.

You get pretty decent money for sperm also.
You know why you get good money? Because nobody wants to do it. Have you done it?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:41 pm

Bronte wrote:Lol, sperm and egg donation is a personal choice. But why pretend you are not having a child when you do so? There's going to be person in the world that has half of your DNA and half of someone else's, which is precisely what "having a child" is. The kid's not your responsibility, but he or she is still out there.

But it's not yours in the sense that you did not choose the person with whom you were having a child. You may be the DNA donor, but you have no claim (nor should you have a claim) on being the parent of that child. There is a lot more that goes into having a kid emotionally than just being the biological parent. Ask any number of single mothers whose baby daddy's are dead beats

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:42 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
Bronte wrote:Lol, sperm and egg donation is a personal choice. But why pretend you are not having a child when you do so? There's going to be person in the world that has half of your DNA and half of someone else's, which is precisely what "having a child" is. The kid's not your responsibility, but he or she is still out there.

But it's not yours in the sense that you did not choose the person with whom you were having a child. You may be the DNA donor, but you have no claim (nor should you have a claim) on being the parent of that child.

Oh. Parenthood is about choosing the partner.
So if a woman is raped and gives birth, she is not a real parent.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:45 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Exeter wrote:
TIKITEMBO wrote:Ugh, yes I also heard about giving up sex.

This kind of comment makes me want to get to know you quick, where are you attending school?

(kidding but this is a red flag comment coming from a woman)

If the women you know wouldn't be upset with giving up sex...you're not doing it wrong

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:45 pm

lawgod wrote:

But it's not yours in the sense that you did not choose the person with whom you were having a child. You may be the DNA donor, but you have no claim (nor should you have a claim) on being the parent of that child.

you turned around my argument. Your example sucks because rape is a completely different situation but in that sense the rapist is the "donor" and is not a real parent. I was speaking from the donor perspective, you turned it around from the recipient perspective and perverted it using an extreme case. Way to go.
Last edited by LSATmakesMeNeurotic on Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:46 pm

But it's not yours in the sense that you did not choose the person with whom you were having a child. You may be the DNA donor, but you have no claim (nor should you have a claim) on being the parent of that child. There is a lot more that goes into having a kid emotionally than just being the biological parent. Ask any number of single mothers whose baby daddy's are dead beats

I'm not saying it's the same thing as having a kid with someone. I'm saying it's biologically the same thing. That's why most people don't do it. They don't want to have biological kids with people they don't choose running around in the world.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:47 pm

lawgod wrote:

you turned around my argument. Your example sucks because rape is a completely different situation but in that sense the rapist is the "donor" and is not a real parent. I was speaking from the donor perspective, you turned it around from the recipient perspective and perverted it using an extreme case. Way to go.

Just ignore lawgod, he's a goddamn retard.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:47 pm

lawgod wrote:

you turned around my argument. Your example sucks because rape is a completely different situation but in that sense the rapist is the "donor" and is not a real parent.

My argument is that I don't see how choosing the partner is part of parenthood. I don't really care about the rape example, and I only mentioned it so that my point would be clear.
Do you really think that choosing the partner is a significant part of parenthood?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:48 pm

Bronte wrote:
I'm not saying it's the same thing as having a kid with someone. I'm saying it's biologically the same thing. That's why most people don't do it. They don't want to have biological kids with people they don't choose running around in the world.

I doubt that's why most people don't do it. Most people don't do it because the compensation isn't enough (as the majority of responses here can attest to) to justify the pain or the possible health risks that can accompany such a procedure.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:48 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Just ignore lawgod, he's a goddamn retard.

Don't ignore me. I hate being ignored.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:51 pm

lawgod wrote:
dr123 wrote:Fuck yea, if I was a woman I would have sold my eggs a long time ago, you get good money for those things.

You know why you get good money? Because nobody wants to do it. Have you done it?

You really don't get good money for donating sperm. Much easier and many more men willing to do it.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:52 pm

Bronte wrote:

I doubt that's why most people don't do it. Most people don't do it because the compensation isn't enough (as the majority of responses here can attest to) to justify the pain or the possible health risks that can accompany such a procedure.

Well I'm referring to sperm donation as well, which is painless as far as I know. Another reason women don't do it is because (as far as I know) they don't regenerate their eggs. And obviously pain / inconvenience is another reason people don't do it. But the empirical question as to why most people don't do it is tangential. My point is that a reason not to do it and the reason I don't do it is that I don't want biological children with anyone except my future wife.

Exeter

Postby Exeter » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:01 pm

Seeing as I never want a family, I might be willing to donate sperm for an extra $10K p/y.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:02 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
lawgod wrote:

You really don't get good money for donating sperm. Much easier and many more men willing to do it.

It looks like the pay is about 35-50 a shot, and you do it about 4-8 times a month.
That makes 400 a month. I guess not as good as the women get, but better than nothing. (Then again, women can also be hookers. Life is just not always fair.)

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:03 pm

Exeter wrote:Seeing as I never want a family, I might be willing to donate sperm for an extra $10K p/y.

If you have dynamite genetics and the ability to j/o 12 hours a day without chafing, maybe you'll make that $10k/year.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:04 pm

lawgod wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
lawgod wrote:

It looks like the pay is about 35-50 a shot, and you do it about 4-8 times a month.
That makes 400 a month. I guess not as good as the women get, but better than nothing. (Then again, women can also be hookers. Life is just not always fair.)

That's pretty weak. I moonlight as a bartender and make that much in tips on a good night

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:05 pm

dr123 wrote:
That's pretty weak. I moonlight as a bartender and make that much in tips on a good night

yeah but do you get to orgasm at the end of the night on a "good" night?

Exeter

Postby Exeter » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Exeter wrote:Seeing as I never want a family, I might be willing to donate sperm for an extra $10K p/y.

If you have dynamite genetics and the ability to j/o 12 hours a day without chafing, maybe you'll make that $10k/year.

Really? I thought guys got more than that.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:14 pm

Emma. wrote:
TIKITEMBO wrote:Seriously considering it.

It's a great help to women with fertility problems...and it pays well. Anyone done this before? :D

Don't you have to take a crazy regimen of drugs? I also think the process of harvesting the egg is not too pleasant. But yeah, it is a good cause... How does it pay?

There is a small chance, as with any surgery, of complications. Complications that could (admittedly a small chance, but still) include disability or even death.

But I would totally do it, personally, if... you know... I had ovaries.

thedive

Postby thedive » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:44 pm

Yeah injecting yourself with hormones is totally a safe idea. I mean when a guy injects himself with the male sex hormone, testosterone, it is just like taking some extra vitamins every day to become bigger and stronger. Honestly though, I would be fairly skeptical of something that paid thousands of dollars and called for me to inject anything, the reason that it probably pays somewhat attractively is that there is a certain amount of risk involved.

wiseguy33

Postby wiseguy33 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:40 am

Where do you live, OP?

Not to be creepy, but the figures everyone is stating seem very low. I worked at my campus paper, and we regularly had ads offering $60-80,000 for egg donors. (I never saw a single ad for sperm donors, though...)

I think the highest I saw was 100k+, to a Jewish family who had extremely specific standards: height, weight, hair/eye color, ethnic background, college and high school GPA, SAT score, proven athletic ability, etc.

I did go to a highly ranked school in a large metro, so that may be a factor.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:36 am

wiseguy33 wrote:Where do you live, OP?

Not to be creepy, but the figures everyone is stating seem very low. I worked at my campus paper, and we regularly had ads offering $60-80,000 for egg donors. (I never saw a single ad for sperm donors, though...)

I think the highest I saw was 100k+, to a Jewish family who had extremely specific standards: height, weight, hair/eye color, ethnic background, college and high school GPA, SAT score, proven athletic ability, etc.

I did go to a highly ranked school in a large metro, so that may be a factor.

At that point, people would be selling their eggs for the money (as opposed to now where it's purely altruistic, yeah). I think at that amount of compensation, it would be akin to selling your kidney which is illegal.

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:24 pm

Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:18 pm

I can't do that since I lack a vagina, but I'd sell a kidney. Anyone need one?

Return to “Financial Aid”