Deleted Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
lawgod

Bronze

Re: Donate an Egg to Help Pay for Law School

Post by lawgod » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:20 pm

PSUdevon wrote:I can't do that since I lack a vagina, but I'd sell a kidney. Anyone need one?
You just need an ovary.

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:22 pm

lawgod wrote:
PSUdevon wrote:I can't do that since I lack a vagina, but I'd sell a kidney. Anyone need one?
You just need an ovary.
Well, it's synecdoche. By saying I lack a vagina, I'm implying that I lack the entire set of female sexual organs.

lawgod

Bronze

Post by lawgod » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:22 pm

But how about being a surrogate mother. That probably pays much better, and genes aren't important. If you carry one child each year, you could pretty much pull it off.

Exeter

New

Post by Exeter » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:24 pm

How about making solid grades and getting a solid SA/job?

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:58 am

Exeter wrote:If a woman without a boyfriend or SO cannot give up sex for 3 months for 10K, then they are ......... not wifey material.
You're a dumbass.

edit: all this talk about eggs is making my hungry.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Exeter

New

Post by Exeter » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:36 am

johnnyutah wrote: You're a dumbass.

edit: all this talk about eggs is making my hungry.
Only a true dumbass would post what is quoted above.

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:44 am

The fear I would have about something like this would be if you had a kid later in life and that kid meets the kid produced from your donated eggs and inadvertent incest ensues.

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:49 am

I considered donating eggs a couple of years ago, got so far as getting OK'd by the donation company and had a few interested families, but decided not to go through with it due to the hormonal/stress/if you have sex you could get pregnant with a litter factors. I definitely wouldn't want to mess with the hormonal stuff during law school, which is already stressful enough.

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:50 am

Exeter wrote:
TIKITEMBO wrote:Ugh, yes I also heard about giving up sex.

This kind of comment makes me want to get to know you quick, where are you attending school?

(kidding but this is a red flag comment coming from a woman)[/quote]

You cannot be serious.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

amorfati

Bronze

Post by amorfati » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:02 pm

As someone who has donated eggs twice (and honestly had a wonderful experience with it), I can say there is definitely a lot of misinformation in this thread.

For one, those huge sums of money in the tens of thousands of dollars that some are quoting are definitely not the norm. Most reputable places will pay in the $5000-9000 range, depending on location, whether you have donated before, and other factors. In my opinion, this is reasonable for the time investment (which is generally not nearly as long as some have indicated here), discomfort (which can vary, but for me was minimal), and risk (which is quite small).

Also, regarding time investment, I think I saw someone said you have to give up sex for something like 10 months, which is absolutely crazy. The total time you are on medication most likely won't take more than a couple months - for me it was between 4-6 weeks. (I've heard that it used to take around three months, but most facilities have switched to the shorter cycle.) Furthermore, for me the "peak fertility" (read: no sex) phase was only for about the last 2 weeks (though it could differ in length depending how they plan your cycle). The earlier part consists of simply being on birth control pills to get your cycle "synced" with that of the recipient. Obviously, during that time you're not very likely to get pregnant, although they do recommend avoiding sex anyway because an unwanted pregnancy at that stage would of course throw a pretty big wrench in the equation.

Anyway, enough of my rambling - but OP, if you're interested I'd be happy to tell you more about my experience with it. Not sure where you're at, but I've done a lot of research for both the San Francisco and New York areas (I donated once in each), so I can also offer recommendations for clinics if you're in either of those areas.

EDIT: My bad on the 10 months - turns out someone had said 3 months. Still, I think that estimate's a bit high, even for clinics with the slowest donation cycles. And as I mentioned, I believe at this point most are switching over to the shorter cycles.

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:40 am

Looks like NY Times is running a story about people disturbed to find out they have dozens of siblings or children. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/06/healt ... =1&_r=2&hp

murray18

Bronze

Post by murray18 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:37 pm

Reassuring that lawgod won't be donating any eggs....

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:49 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:
My point is that a reason not to do it and the reason I don't do it is that I don't want biological children with anyone except my future wife.
Yeah, you are donating your genetic material with the intended use of it becoming a child for someone. But I don't see it as "having a child" with someone. You're giving material that makes it possible for someone else to have a kid. Yes, it's your genetics, but come on. You're donating genetic material so someone can have a possibility they couldn't otherwise. I suppose you could stretch that to having a kid with them since it is your dna, but I think the connotations are completely different. If you want to take the attitude of, "Well, I can't help out another couple with fertility problems because I don't want to have kids with them." I think you can see how strange that sounds. I know there is more emotion into it than this case, but I guess I sort of view it as people who don't want to donate their organs if they die because they want to be buried with all their parts in tact. If you're not using them, and you can help someone out, then why not? Granted, getting a liver is different than getting a kid, but for some people it means the world to have a child in that way.
Jumping into this thread kinda late but...I don't think it is fair of you to represent Bronte's point of view in that way. I think, if you want to donate your eggs or organs or whatever to help those that desperately need them, then good for you. I think you're doing a good thing. But I can also completely understand why some people would be uncomfortable with it (and I'm not even saying I am one of them). In fact, reading your comment, I felt as if you were much more close-minded. Bronte's "attitude" does not sound strange to me at all, whether I agree with it or not.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

foxtrottortxof

New

Post by foxtrottortxof » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:49 pm

I've seen $130k offers in HYPS student newspapers. crazy stuff.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:52 pm

foxtrottortxof wrote:I've seen $130k offers in HYPS student newspapers. crazy stuff.
Well, so much of it is genetics after all (past a certain threshold).

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:49 am

TIKITEMBO wrote:Seriously considering it.

It's a great help to women with fertility problems...and it pays well. Anyone done this before? :D
I'd absolutely recommend against it. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. The pay looks good, but the process is very long. Basically you'll be pumped full of fertility drugs, become really fat, and eggs with be harvested after something like an 8 month process...I don't think it's worth the (possible) permanent physical damage/weight gain...

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:56 am

Seeing this thread was the second time in my life when I wished I had a vagina.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:59 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Seeing this thread was the second time in my life when I wished I had a vagina.

(on edge waiting to hear about the first time)

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:02 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
foxtrottortxof wrote:I've seen $130k offers in HYPS student newspapers. crazy stuff.
Well, so much of it is genetics after all (past a certain threshold).
HYPS UG, probably. Otherwise the potential parents just know their kid'll be good at studying for the LSAT.

vulpixie

Bronze

Post by vulpixie » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:17 pm

If you are white, blonde, thin, and have either an Ivy degree or a 99th percentile LSAT score, you can make a lot more than 10k as an egg donor.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2008/ ... or-wanted/

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:04 pm

Hate to hijack, but how much for sperm on average?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:13 pm

coldshoulder wrote:Hate to hijack, but how much for sperm on average?
Have a friend who donated it for a medical study (so no babies) and got $115 per...ejaculation.

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:18 pm

Curious1 wrote:
Have a friend who donated it for a medical study (so no babies) and got $115 per...ejaculation.
NEED.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:33 pm

Curious1 wrote:
That's not bad at all considering I'm spending $20 a pop right now.

TIKITEMBO

Silver

Post by TIKITEMBO » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:35 am

Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”