How you Should Stack up to get schollys

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
User avatar
DonDrapersAttorney
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:36 pm

How you Should Stack up to get schollys

Postby DonDrapersAttorney » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:36 am

I was curious, as I'll be applying the next next cycle. Generally speaking, about how far above the 75th percentile in LSAT/GPA should you expect to be to get a decent scholarship package? I only ask because I'd like to apply to a few safeties that I feel I could get some decent money offers at and was curious if you generally only need to be a few points above that 75th or if you really need to blow them away to get money offers.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: How you Should Stack up to get schollys

Postby duckmoney » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:58 am

It entirely depends on the school. Some schools offer full rides to anyone above a certain LSAT, pretty much regardless of GPA. Other schools won't give full rides to anyone, even if you have a 4.0 / 180 / best "why x" essay ever written. Look at http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com to see what schools offered people last year, chances are it will be very similar this year.

saladfiend
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:19 pm

Re: How you Should Stack up to get schollys

Postby saladfiend » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:47 am

Some schools also might not offer you anything because they are skeptical that you will actually attend.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: How you Should Stack up to get schollys

Postby duckmoney » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:48 am

saladfiend wrote:Some schools also might not offer you anything because they are skeptical that you will actually attend.


Blatant anti American U trolling

User avatar
jmjones
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: How you Should Stack up to get schollys

Postby jmjones » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:58 am

duckmoney wrote:It entirely depends on the school. Some schools offer full rides to anyone above a certain LSAT, pretty much regardless of GPA.



Schools such as ???? with an LSAT score of at least ????

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: How you Should Stack up to get schollys

Postby duckmoney » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:25 pm

jmjones wrote:
duckmoney wrote:It entirely depends on the school. Some schools offer full rides to anyone above a certain LSAT, pretty much regardless of GPA.



Schools such as ???? with an LSAT score of at least ????


Indiana gave them to practically anyone with a 166 or higher

nycdweller
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:00 am

Re: How you Should Stack up to get schollys

Postby nycdweller » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:10 am

duckmoney wrote:
jmjones wrote:
duckmoney wrote:It entirely depends on the school. Some schools offer full rides to anyone above a certain LSAT, pretty much regardless of GPA.



Schools such as ???? with an LSAT score of at least ????


Indiana gave them to practically anyone with a 166 or higher


People I know with a 173+ got schollys to any number of schools in the "first tier" ranked around or below 20, including GW, Emory, WUSTL. Guy with a 178 got a 2/3 scholarship to Georgetown, despite sub 25th %ile GPA

User avatar
DonDrapersAttorney
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: How you Should Stack up to get schollys

Postby DonDrapersAttorney » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:01 pm

So the long and short is, anything goes. :roll:

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: How you Should Stack up to get schollys

Postby cinephile » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:10 pm

Some lower ranked schools simply can't afford handing out full rides/large scholarships.

Some schools also consider financial need (depending on your age) for scholarships. Many schools also negotiate scholarship offers.

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: How you Should Stack up to get schollys

Postby MoS » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:13 pm

I found this helpful a few years ago, and pretty accurate as to my results. Make sure to include scholarship info in your search. http://www.hourumd.com/




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests