Budget Increase For a Bed?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
HOPEFORCHANGE

Budget Increase For a Bed?

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:00 pm

Does anyone think I should bother putting in a budget increase form for a new mattress? I doubt I will get it, but I know that the law schools are following federal guidelines, so if anyone has failed or succeeded in getting a budget increase for something similar, please let me know. I just have to get a new mattress anyway, not top of the line or one that is awful, but my back hurts! I just one as few worries as possible during the first term and don't want to reflect on how I shouldn't have spent that $400 on a mattress because now I am short until January. You never know.

Kilpatrick

Re: Budget Increase For a Bed?

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:02 pm

When I moved for law school I bought a new bed with loan money. I've never heard of being able to get specific budget increases for stuff like that. I think you just have to budget that in

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:15 pm

Thanks. I may call and ask. You're probably right that you have to budget it in. I was just thinking I am willing to spend more to have fewer worries that aren't school-related during the first term.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:37 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:05 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:One guy felt compelled to raise his hand and share with the class that when he moved for school he had found an abandoned mattress in the street in front of someone's house. He said that it was "perfectly good" and he took it home and started sleeping on it.

people do this all the time... I don't get. Whether it be a bed a couch a dresser, whatever. People "abandon" it for others to have. I am definitely going to be (and always have) taking advantage of all the shit students leave behind. I would just be cognizant of where you're getting something from due to the big bedbugs scare. Anyyyway....

OP, do you have no savings? You could also get a credit card with the store you buy it from that does the 0 interest as long as you pay it off in a year/18months. That's a good deal. Good luck!

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:08 pm

I'm all for getting things cheap and used. A mattress just wouldn't be one of them.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:11 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:You could also just pull a new mattress out of a dumpster.

During the first week of my Property class, we were talking about gaining possession of lost, mislaid or abandoned property. One guy felt compelled to raise his hand and share with the class that when he moved for school he had found an abandoned mattress in the street in front of someone's house. He said that it was "perfectly good" and he took it home and started sleeping on it. He was married too, which made it worse for me. Every time he talked after that I imagined him boning his wife on top of a pile of other peoples hair and dead skin cells.

ETA: I do think you should find the room in your budget for a decent mattress. Don't underestimate the importance of a good night's rest

I totally agree with this. A few extra hundreds to get a top-quality mattress will be worth it in the long run.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:24 pm

Agree with all of the above. Especially about used mattresses. I think I can get a good mattress for 400 or 500

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:37 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Agree with all of the above. Especially about used mattresses. I think I can get a good mattress for 400 or 500

You can get a Sealy memory foam (full size) for $300 off overstock.com . The reviews say it feels just as good as a Tempurpedic

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:40 pm

maybe it's because I've been using used mattresses all my life that makes it so I don't care. I just think it's crazy if someone refuses a mattress just because someone else has slept on it. I just sold my mattress for $200 that I'd had for 2 years (bought new from IKEA). I would love to have brought it with me to my new city.It was a great mattress that will last for a very long time in pretty much perfect condition. Ah well, hopefully I find a similar deal when I move in a week.

also agree with bhan about overstock. great site!

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:25 pm

Memory Foam mattresses off Overstock.com is why I need a new mattress two and a half years later and feel like I was hit in the back with a bat every morning. It is ok for a year though. But I might as well pay $500 for a good regular spring mattress that will last

Verity

Postby Verity » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:28 pm

Memory foam is no good for humpin'. Neither is a water bed. You want a little bounce to make it jiggle.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:40 pm

I don't need to worry about that at the moment, unfortunately.

gloriacollins

Postby gloriacollins » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:57 am

i don't think that you should increase the budget..:)

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:02 am

I got a box spring for like $25 and a mattress for a couple hundo and I sleep on that on the floor. Bedframe is a waste of money.

Return to “Financial Aid”