Getting Married 2L Summer Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
crossarmant

Silver

Getting Married 2L Summer

Post by crossarmant » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:48 pm

I'm starting up law school in August and my fiancee and I have been trying to figure out a good timeline, with both of us finishing our grad degrees and whatnot, to get married. We were both thinking of doing so the summer after my 2L, but my mother said that if she's working full-time and bringing in a fair amount of money, that it could screw up my financial aid awards. Does anyone know the validity to this? All I'm receiving and using outside of scholly money is subsidized, unsub, and PLUS loans. I'd like to get married, but if it's going to mess up my award, I'd have to postpone until after I graduate.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Re: Getting Married 2L Summer

Post by Kilpatrick » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:54 pm

If you didn't get married until after 2L, your 3l financial aid will have already been decided based on your FAFSA info from the previous year.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:52 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:If you didn't get married until after 2L, your 3l financial aid will have already been decided based on your FAFSA info from the previous year.
Duh. Don't know how that didn't occur to me. Thank you.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:55 pm

sounds more like your mom just making things up to stop you from getting married.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:10 pm

desertlaw wrote:sounds more like your mom just making things up to stop you from getting married.
Haha, not quite. My aunt is going back for her bachelors and turned down a proposal because his income would've canceled her need based aid; she thought it might apply to me. Figured I'd ask.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”