How do I defer undergrad loans for law school

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
HyeMart
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:43 pm

How do I defer undergrad loans for law school

Postby HyeMart » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:47 pm

I have undergrad loans (stafford subsidized if it matters) that I would like to defer for after law school. How do I do this?

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: How do I defer undergrad loans for law school

Postby northwood » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:37 pm

i think all you need is for the law school to report to the loan provider that you are enrolled full time and they will be deferred. Double check to be sure ( and be prepared to pay your bill for August and September just to be safe).

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: How do I defer undergrad loans for law school

Postby northwood » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:38 pm

If you took out a private loan- you may be required to pay for it while you are still in school, until its paid off completely.

User avatar
Ginj
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:53 am

Re: How do I defer undergrad loans for law school

Postby Ginj » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:43 pm

You'll most likely have to have the law school's finance office submit confirmation of full-time enrollment directly to your lending institution. You should probably contact the loan agency directly for step-by-step instructions.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: How do I defer undergrad loans for law school

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:58 pm

It happened automatically for me. Your law school should report your enrollment status to a financial lending clearinghouse, and your UG lender will then automatically be updated.

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: How do I defer undergrad loans for law school

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:48 pm

vanwinkle wrote:It happened automatically for me. Your law school should report your enrollment status to a financial lending clearinghouse, and your UG lender will then automatically be updated.


do you remember when this happened? Just wondering if I'll be paying my loans for Sept.

User avatar
PrayingforHYS
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: How do I defer undergrad loans for law school

Postby PrayingforHYS » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:00 pm

could we get an update on this information? I was actually wondering the same exact thing.

I called my law school about a month ago and asked about the process for deferring undergrad loans and asked if it happened automatically, and they told me that they did not--that I had to "fill out the proper paperwork," whatever that means...

While searching for the "form(s)" online, I found a Federal Perkins (NDSL) Student Loan request for deferment form, and I found a "in-school deferment request" for the "Federal Family Education Loan Program" (is this Stafford or something completely different?).

Even on the second form, however, it tells you to mail it back to your lender. Am I better off just contacting Sallie Mae (..pretty sure they're my lender) and asking them what the process is?

Thanks.

edit: I understand that everyone gets a 6 month grace-period after graduating college, and that most schools (I believe) automatically submit your enrollment status to a lending clearinghouse, but what if your school doesn't?

RTFM
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Re: How do I defer undergrad loans for law school

Postby RTFM » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:39 pm

The easiest thing to do is call your undergrad student loan office--they should be able to verify that you are a full-time student. I got my first loan bills when I was enrolled full time in a grad program, and I just called my undergrad and they took care of it.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: How do I defer undergrad loans for law school

Postby cinephile » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:03 pm

I just called up my lender, who will be mailing me the forms that I give to the law school to fill out. This might mean I will still pay for September, but that's alright. However, the last time I was in grad school, it happened automatically; Sallie Mae contacted me and asked if I wanted to defer.

User avatar
941law
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:21 am

Re: How do I defer undergrad loans for law school

Postby 941law » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:27 pm

what if you're in school part-time?

Golden Bear 11
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:21 am

Re: How do I defer undergrad loans for law school

Postby Golden Bear 11 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:43 pm

Does interest continue to accrue even if you defer?

User avatar
Ded Precedent
Posts: 767
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: How do I defer undergrad loans for law school

Postby Ded Precedent » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:35 pm

Golden Bear 11 wrote:Does interest continue to accrue even if you defer?

It will continue to accrue on your unsubsidized loans.

juju96
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: How do I defer undergrad loans for law school

Postby juju96 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:53 pm

Ded Precedent wrote:
Golden Bear 11 wrote:Does interest continue to accrue even if you defer?

It will continue to accrue on your unsubsidized loans.


does it not accrue on subsidized loans?

User avatar
TIKITEMBO
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:07 pm

Re: How do I defer undergrad loans for law school

Postby TIKITEMBO » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:21 am

941law wrote:what if you're in school part-time?



I'm interested in this as well. I'm guessing you still pay, but I'm not sure...anyone?

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: How do I defer undergrad loans for law school

Postby Ludo! » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:35 am

TIKITEMBO wrote:
941law wrote:what if you're in school part-time?



I'm interested in this as well. I'm guessing you still pay, but I'm not sure...anyone?


Pretty sure you can still defer:

http://studentaid.ed.gov/students/attac ... sChart.pdf

User avatar
TIKITEMBO
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:07 pm

Re: How do I defer undergrad loans for law school

Postby TIKITEMBO » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:49 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
TIKITEMBO wrote:
941law wrote:what if you're in school part-time?



I'm interested in this as well. I'm guessing you still pay, but I'm not sure...anyone?


Pretty sure you can still defer:

http://studentaid.ed.gov/students/attac ... sChart.pdf



Ludovico FTW :D

ShastaNikki
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 6:41 pm

Re: How do I defer undergrad loans for law school

Postby ShastaNikki » Tue May 08, 2012 10:31 am

As long as you are enrolled at least 1/2 time in an approved school (most schools are approved--if they do their own Federal Loans, then they are approved), you can defer.

For instance, I graduated UG in May 2011, but was able to keep my loans in deferment by enrolling in fluff courses 1/2 time at a local community college. There is a deferment form you can find at the new myedaccount.edu website if you, like I did for the interim, don't get new loans and pay out-of-pocket.

If your loan is unsubsidized, the interest still accrues since disbursement and is added to the principal if not paid off (but you don't *have* to pay it off while in deferment, you just *can*).

If it's subsidized then your interest does not accrue while in deferment (I think...I always have had unsubsidized, but I think that's the difference).

**If you are going straight from UG to LS and you filled out the FAFSA in order to get loans for LS, your UG loans should automatically go into deferment until 6 months after your projected LS graduation date (like, Nov. 2015). To check, log into your account at myedaccount.edu. If you've never been to this site, they will prompt you to create an account--it's just a new management area for student loans connected to the fafsa.ed.gov website.

Does that answer your question completely?

Mark Henry
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 12:59 am

advice family law

Postby Mark Henry » Tue May 15, 2012 1:14 am

Contact to your law schools and consult for them as if they deffer your loan provider.


SPAM DELETED

User avatar
BarcaCrossesTheAlps
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 11:43 am

Re: How do I defer undergrad loans for law school

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sat May 19, 2012 2:12 pm

ShastaNikki wrote:As long as you are enrolled at least 1/2 time in an approved school (most schools are approved--if they do their own Federal Loans, then they are approved), you can defer.

For instance, I graduated UG in May 2011, but was able to keep my loans in deferment by enrolling in fluff courses 1/2 time at a local community college. There is a deferment form you can find at the new myedaccount.edu website if you, like I did for the interim, don't get new loans and pay out-of-pocket.

If your loan is unsubsidized, the interest still accrues since disbursement and is added to the principal if not paid off (but you don't *have* to pay it off while in deferment, you just *can*).

If it's subsidized then your interest does not accrue while in deferment (I think...I always have had unsubsidized, but I think that's the difference).

**If you are going straight from UG to LS and you filled out the FAFSA in order to get loans for LS, your UG loans should automatically go into deferment until 6 months after your projected LS graduation date (like, Nov. 2015). To check, log into your account at myedaccount.edu. If you've never been to this site, they will prompt you to create an account--it's just a new management area for student loans connected to the fafsa.ed.gov website.

Does that answer your question completely?



This is the way it has been described to me. It only gets complicated when you have time off between or have private loans.

User avatar
cutecarmel
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: How do I defer undergrad loans for law school

Postby cutecarmel » Wed May 30, 2012 6:49 pm

juju96 wrote:
Ded Precedent wrote:
Golden Bear 11 wrote:Does interest continue to accrue even if you defer?

It will continue to accrue on your unsubsidized loans.


does it not accrue on subsidized loans?


No it doesn't

Has anyone had to have your law school sign off on a deference form? I had my provider mail one to me, but it asks for me to have the law school sign it and then mail it back. I haven't moved to the state that I am going to law school yet, so does anyone know if I could just have the school send something into the loan provider. I'm with SallieMae if that helps.

hollysurly
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 2:53 am

Re: How do I defer undergrad loans for law school

Postby hollysurly » Thu May 31, 2012 4:30 am

I anticipate that all you accept to do to access a cessation of apprentice loans is get the cessation anatomy from your lender, ample out your advice and accord it to your law school's Dean's or Registrar's Office in July/August, and they'll accredit that you're in academy and apparently even forward out the anatomy for you. Once your lender receives it, they'll put your accommodation into deferral. I don't anticipate it's too difficult -- this is the advice I was accustomed and it matches what my lender's cessation anatomy says, so hopefully it's correct.

SPAM DELETED




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests