Can scholarships be negotiated after 1L year?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Cubyfan21

Can scholarships be negotiated after 1L year?

Postby Cubyfan21 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:09 am

I know this is too early to ask, but can scholarships be negotiated after the 1L on the basis of grades and class rank? I am attending a T10 and am hoping to work hard enough to have a little leverage if it is possible to negotiate.

Peeblepop

Re: Can scholarships be negotiated after 1L year?

Postby Peeblepop » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:57 am

Cubyfan21 wrote:I know this is too early to ask, but can scholarships be negotiated after the 1L on the basis of grades and class rank? I am attending a T10 and am hoping to work hard enough to have a little leverage if it is possible to negotiate.

Sometimes. Some school play ball; others don't. Some schools might only make admissions offers to people whoa re accepted as transfers at better schools, others might just send out new scholarship offers to the top 5% of the class.

chinagator

Postby chinagator » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:37 pm

I'm a 0L and my school had a tuition hike for this year of 22%. I had deferred from last year and kept the existing scholarship. Should I have re-negotiated? I never really thought about it and didn't realize how significant the hike was until recently. Probably too late now, but could I potentially re-negotiate for next year?

Perch

Postby Perch » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:22 pm

chinagator wrote:I'm a 0L and my school had a tuition hike for this year of 22%. I had deferred from last year and kept the existing scholarship. Should I have re-negotiated? I never really thought about it and didn't realize how significant the hike was until recently. Probably too late now, but could I potentially re-negotiate for next year?

22%!?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:25 pm

Not at a T10. It is uncommon but possible at schools which are ranked much lower. It is actually impossible at top schools, and many before you have tried.

fish52

Postby fish52 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:05 am

Perch wrote:
chinagator wrote:I'm a 0L and my school had a tuition hike for this year of 22%. I had deferred from last year and kept the existing scholarship. Should I have re-negotiated? I never really thought about it and didn't realize how significant the hike was until recently. Probably too late now, but could I potentially re-negotiate for next year?

22%!?

Going to guess that's Boalt. We're getting it rough and hard from behind.

Return to “Financial Aid”