FASFA- straight out of college

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
mvredd

FASFA- straight out of college

Postby mvredd » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:01 pm

Hey guys, here's the deal.

1) Have about 15,000 dollars in UG loans (don't know if it's relevant, but there it is). I'm 21. Going to law school fresh out of school.
2) No. Savings. For. Law. School.
3) My mom is no longer claiming me as a dependent since I moved out before my junior year. So once this year ends
I'll get to claim myself (I'm pretty sure that's how that works.I get no support from her anymore).
4) Getting ready to apply to schools in the fall. 4.0 GPA, 175 LSAT. Hopefully, T6 definitely T1
5) Decent credit (I think my score is 725; HOWEVER, that's with limited purchase value. Never cad a car or home loan).

I'm just wondering if it is feasible for me to pay for law school on my own. How generous is the government with federal loans? What are my options for private loans. Right now, I'm not even planning on scholarships, because I don't want to count on money that may or may not be there when the dust settles.

Thanks in advance!

Re: FASFA- straight out of college

Postby 23402385985 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:08 pm

mvredd wrote:Hey guys, here's the deal.

1) Have about 15,000 dollars in UG loans (don't know if it's relevant, but there it is). I'm 21. Going to law school fresh out of school.
2) No. Savings. For. Law. School.
3) My mom is no longer claiming me as a dependent since I moved out before my junior year. So once this year ends
I'll get to claim myself (I'm pretty sure that's how that works.I get no support from her anymore).
4) Getting ready to apply to schools in the fall. 4.0 GPA, 175 LSAT. Hopefully, T6 definitely T1
5) Decent credit (I think my score is 725; HOWEVER, that's with limited purchase value. Never cad a car or home loan).

I'm just wondering if it is feasible for me to pay for law school on my own. How generous is the government with federal loans? What are my options for private loans. Right now, I'm not even planning on scholarships, because I don't want to count on money that may or may not be there when the dust settles.

Thanks in advance!

You should be able to cover all costs with a variety of federal loans (Unsubsidized and subsidized Stafford loans and the GradPlus loan).

Return to “Financial Aid”