Scholarship- Full Ride

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

Scholarship- Full Ride

Postby cmartin5970 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:05 pm

This may be a stupid question, but I recently took the LSAT and I plan on applying for law schools in october and financial aid is going to be a key factor in deciding which school to go to. I have been told by a few people on this forum that I could probably get a full ride to NC Central and/or Elon with an LSAT of 163 and a 3.5 GPA. I was wondering if a full ride included money for room and board like undergrad or if a full ride only covered tuition. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I have tried searching and have not found my answer.

Re: Scholarship- Full Ride

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:08 pm

Full rides generally mean full tuition scholarships. Some schools do give out full rides plus stipends but they are few and far between.

Postby cinephile » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:08 pm

Reducing your debt is important, but so is going to a reputable school that will help you find legal work someday. Unless you already have a job lined up, aim higher.

And to answer your question, some school do give you full rides + stipends -- but those that I've seen give out small stipends, like 5k a year on top of the tuition waiver.

Postby flexityflex86 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:43 pm

and contingency scholarships are the worst, which is what a lot of TT.

because some of these schools put all the scholarship kids in one class, and force them to compete against one another, you can make the argument that taking such a deal is worse than paying sticker as not only do you lose your scholarship, you're now graduating from a much less reputable school with a poor class rank so basically unless you're jose baez your life is f'd.

if you want $, you should retake. you need to get your full ride to a tier 1 as from what i gather they're the only ones who don't put stips. cardozo might be a good bet as well as IU: B depending on where you want to work as these schools throw a ton of money with no stips. wustl might also be good.

Return to “Financial Aid”