HYSCCN: How Generous is Financial Aid?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
hypothalamus

HYSCCN: How Generous is Financial Aid?

Postby hypothalamus » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:05 am

I know all of these schools pride themselves on having very "generous" financial aid programs, but that obviously has a very different meaning than the same when said for example about Harvard undergrad.

People on LSN only post the grant merit aid they receive at various schools, but how much would a T6 or T14 give in the form of financial aid to someone who has a lot of "need?"

I suspect the answer would be different for various schools. So HLS and perhaps YLS would give up to their maximum, i.e. 50% of tuition. What about the other top schools? CLS, NYU, Penn, Cornell?

Anyone who has gone through the finaid application process or has any knowledge of grant aid amounts, feel free (and encouraged) to share :).

hypothalamus

Re: HYSCCN: How Generous is Financial Aid?

Postby hypothalamus » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:35 pm

bump :(

miracle2011

Postby miracle2011 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:41 pm

I am pretty sure that the max need based grant at Harvard is around $27,500. I am not sure about the rest of the T6.

kcam1991

Postby kcam1991 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:58 am

per year?

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:31 pm

hypothalamus wrote:I know all of these schools pride themselves on having very "generous" financial aid programs, but that obviously has a very different meaning than the same when said for example about Harvard undergrad.

People on LSN only post the grant merit aid they receive at various schools, but how much would a T6 or T14 give in the form of financial aid to someone who has a lot of "need?"

I suspect the answer would be different for various schools. So HLS and perhaps YLS would give up to their maximum, i.e. 50% of tuition. What about the other top schools? CLS, NYU, Penn, Cornell?

Anyone who has gone through the finaid application process or has any knowledge of grant aid amounts, feel free (and encouraged) to share :).

Bolded isn't true. If it were, no one would post any schollies for YHS. The numbers you see are (at least usually) the schollies people get, including both merit and need. YHS is supposed to be very generous, but I don't think CCN give out much (if any) after their merit schollies.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:39 pm

I have a buddy at HLS that recieved a generous amount of financial aid to attend (however, he does have a family and a baby). I'm not sure how much exactly it was, but I'm pretty sure it covered most if not all of his expenses

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:44 pm

miracle2011 wrote:I am pretty sure that the max need based grant at Harvard is around $27,500. I am not sure about the rest of the T6.

For HLS, this sounds about right. That is per year. Grants are given on a need basis only (i.e. no merit aid).

Keep in mind that you will be provided with loans to cover the remaining amount of tuition, and all of HYS have excellent LRAP programs to repay most if not all of your loans should you end up in a lower-income job after graduation.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:57 pm

miracle2011 wrote:I am pretty sure that the max need based grant at Harvard is around $27,500. I am not sure about the rest of the T6.

That's just about what HLS awarded me in grant aid. Although keep in mind that your financial need is reevaluated every year at HLS, so landing an SA gig will almost certainly lower your award for the next year.

Curious to know how SLS and YLS compare to HLS in need based grants.

hung jury

Postby hung jury » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:29 am

The Gentleman wrote:

That's just about what HLS awarded me in grant aid. Although keep in mind that your financial need is reevaluated every year at HLS, so landing an SA gig will almost certainly lower your award for the next year.

Curious to know how SLS and YLS compare to HLS in need based grants.

SLS beat my HLS grant by 5 figures.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:18 am

S > Y > H
N > CC at least for marginal CC applicants
you can't put HYS vs CCN since the former is need-based and the latter is almost exclusively merit-based

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:03 pm

Sooooo..... you guys are saying I should apply to SLS, if I want financial aid? (Yes, yes, I know chances of acceptance are marginal to begin with.) :)

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:20 pm

hypothalamus wrote:Sooooo..... you guys are saying I should apply to SLS, if I want financial aid? (Yes, yes, I know chances of acceptance are marginal to begin with.) :)

That one reason among others :)

Return to “Financial Aid”