Grad school: parents are out? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
senorhosh

Bronze

Grad school: parents are out?

Post by senorhosh » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:47 am

So for undergrad, my EFC is met by parent plus loans. But I don't want my parents to pay for my grad school.

So how does it work? Will my EFC be met by pure student loans? or will my parents have to take out a Plus loan?

For UG, i think you can declare dependency but you have to prove you've been financially dependent for a year or something. I'm not sure.

How does it work for law school? Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks

Also, since I'm applying after graduation and won't have time to work, I'm still considered a dependent right?

berkeleykel06

Bronze

Re: Grad school: parents are out?

Post by berkeleykel06 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:10 am

You are considered independent for law school purposes. Your parents won't be expected to pay anything; you can take out Stafford and GradPlus loans in your name to cover the full amount you owe after scholarships (if you have any), including cost of living expenses. The downside is that it is rare for law schools to give out income-based assistance other than loans since if they did almost everyone would qualify without their parents' income being taken into consideration.

Return to “Financial Aid”