Negotiation post deposot Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
derrminater

New

Negotiation post deposot

Post by derrminater » Tue May 31, 2011 6:54 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to continue to negotiate aid after a deposit has been made? I think I may have heard some rumblings of this during the process but I am not sure how those people went about asking for more money in a position of such diminished leverage. Thanks!

OGR3

Silver

Re: Negotiation post deposot

Post by OGR3 » Tue May 31, 2011 6:58 pm

derrminater wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to continue to negotiate aid after a deposit has been made? I think I may have heard some rumblings of this during the process but I am not sure how those people went about asking for more money in a position of such diminished leverage. Thanks!
Leverage is diminished significantly after you've made a deposit. The only times that I can think of that you'd still be able to get more money is if the school where you deposited had an early deposit deadline and you only did that to keep your options open or if you received a new offer from another school. Depending on the school, it might have been a better course to have let the deposit deadline pass, as some schools will offer you more money in an effort to make you reconsider.

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:40 pm

I got another $5,000 per year at a school after I deposited. I had already been denied an increase once before the deposit date. In my first letter, I told them that I wouldn't mind making a deposit to show them my interest and to see if funds opened up. The second letter that I sent post-deposit detailed a more generous offer from a competing school (that I hadn't received notice of when I made my first deposit elsewhere) and the award increase came back a week later.

It still wasn't enough to influence me to go, but the few hundred dollars to see what happened seemed worth it to me.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:43 pm

I didn't get money from my top choices until after I deposited. They know you can still easily deposit somewhere else.

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:54 pm

I asked for more money pre-first deposit and was turned down but I got a letter after my second deposit dropping all stips from my scholarship. Must say I'm pretty pleased.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”