Private lenders vs unsubsidized federal

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
helmsleyB

Private lenders vs unsubsidized federal

Postby helmsleyB » Fri May 27, 2011 12:09 pm

The advice that I have seen thus far has all said to max out federal loans before turning to private lenders. I definitely plan on maxing out the allowance for subsidized Stafford loans, but I'm wondering about the benefits of unsubsidized Stafford and GradPlus.

My understanding is that the primary advantage of these loans is the fixed interest rate... is that it though? Given how low LIBOR/Prime rates are, it seems like someone with strong credit and a good cosigner could get much lower rates on private loans (albeit taking a little gamble that LIBOR/Prime will stay relatively low).

Is the preference for unsubsidized Stafford/GradPlus just based on the guaranteed fixed rates, or am I missing some other benefits?

buckilaw

Re: Private lenders vs unsubsidized federal

Postby buckilaw » Fri May 27, 2011 12:11 pm

I may be wrong, but I'm fairly sure you can't pay off private loans with loan repayment programs or IBR.

waters

Postby waters » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:33 am

buckilaw wrote:I may be wrong, but I'm fairly sure you can't pay off private loans with loan repayment programs or IBR.

Resurrecting this thread... Anyone have an answer to this? I believe Harvard's LIPP covers private educational loans. If a credit-worthy co-signer is available, is there any reason to go with the 6.8% Stafford as opposed to a 2.5 - 3% variable or ~5-6% fixed Private educational loans?

I understand the Stafford loans have a death/disability protection, but is there any other benefit I'm missing for the Stafford? I'm trying to wrap my head around why so many resources recommend maxing out the federal loans first. Does this advice stand less true if one is in the fortunate position of having a willing co-signer with good credit?

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:40 am

waters wrote:
buckilaw wrote:I may be wrong, but I'm fairly sure you can't pay off private loans with loan repayment programs or IBR.

Resurrecting this thread... Anyone have an answer to this? I believe Harvard's LIPP covers private educational loans. If a credit-worthy co-signer is available, is there any reason to go with the 6.8% Stafford as opposed to a 2.5 - 3% variable or ~5-6% fixed Private educational loans?

I understand the Stafford loans have a death/disability protection, but is there any other benefit I'm missing for the Stafford? I'm trying to wrap my head around why so many resources recommend maxing out the federal loans first. Does this advice stand less true if one is in the fortunate position of having a willing co-signer with good credit?

Why do so many resources say to max out fed loans first? Because so many people cannot afford to do the private loans option, and so many people don't get into Harvard.

If you have Harvard Law (and assuming their LIPP does cover private loans) + option for low interest private loans, then go for it? Call their Fin Aid office first though.

Postby 20141023 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:11 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:23 pm

Are subsidized Stafford loans still a thing for lawl school? I thought Congress killed them off

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:45 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:Are subsidized Stafford loans still a thing for lawl school? I thought Congress killed them off

They did. But note that the OP is from 2 years ago.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:47 pm

Lavitz wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:Are subsidized Stafford loans still a thing for lawl school? I thought Congress killed them off

They did. But note that the OP is from 2 years ago.

Sigh... another RC fail. But thanks for the answer.

Return to “Financial Aid”