Harvard V. UCLA

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
flcath

Re: Harvard V. UCLA

Postby flcath » Sun May 22, 2011 3:37 am

BruceWayne wrote:The irony of this situation is that, if OP is paying sticker, she can afford to go into sticker debt at Harvard. The only people who pay sticker at HLS (because of their need based aid system) are people who have a substantial amount of income--and I mean substantial. Your parents must each make six figures, or you do.

While I vote harvard, I don't necessarily think this is the case. Just b/c it's a need-based scholarship system doesn't mean it covers your needs.

Hippononymous

Postby Hippononymous » Tue May 24, 2011 4:52 pm

HNSA15 wrote:Yes, I'm female.

I know that going to UCLA makes logical sense because I wouldn't have to pay a single dollar and still be close to everyone who is important to me. I just don't know if I'll ever get a chance to go to a school like Harvard again. I feel like this might be once in a lifetime opportunity. With that said, going to a #14 law school and graduating with 0 debt might also be a once in a lifetime opportunity. And the circle just goes around and around....

Harvard.

I'm going to sound like a dick for saying this, but don't, don't DON'T make your decision based on your boyfriend. It's an unfair amount of pressure on him knowing that you turned down Harvard for him. And while yes, you could say it was family, or it was scholarship, or whatever, that will be the elephant in the room forever. (I made the same mistake turning down Penn for UG, but that's a different story).

COA at Harvard really isn't a problem. You'll pay it off.

P.S. Congratulations.

Gideon Strumpet

Postby Gideon Strumpet » Thu May 26, 2011 4:16 am

Three pages later--still not a question.

uzpakalis

Postby uzpakalis » Sat May 28, 2011 11:44 am

What do you want the piece of paper hanging on your wall to say, HARVARD or UCLA? I think this is an easy choice, go HARVARD. I realize you have strong Cali connections, but, you'll only need to spend < 27 months in the NE (assuming you work in LA for the summers and go back for breaks etc...) for the rest of your life to have a HARVARD degree. Do it!

rebelx13

Postby rebelx13 » Tue May 31, 2011 1:53 am

I would definitely vote Harvard.

The door that will open for you later post grad is going to be significantly wider with a Harvard degree.

You might be debt adverse, but you can easily work off the debt rapidly if you contribute more than the minimum each month (triple payments, even?). That'll probably happen with a Harvard degree. Financially, if your job pays you 40k more because of the Harvard degree, 210k in loans is about 5 years of salary. Worth it.

You'll be happy you went to the second best school in the nation later. Not only will you be able to tell your children that, but you give them "lineage" thing that private schools like.

If your bf is really meant to be, he could either move or do a long distance.

Harvard.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue May 31, 2011 2:12 am

Two things that are forever: Diamonds and Harvard.

Straw_Mandible

Postby Straw_Mandible » Tue May 31, 2011 2:19 am

Absolutely go to Harvard. UCLA and Harvard are not comparable schools. No amount of money could reconcile the difference between them.

flcath

Postby flcath » Tue May 31, 2011 2:28 am

Straw_Mandible wrote:Absolutely go to Harvard. UCLA and Harvard are not comparable schools. No amount of money could reconcile the difference between them.

This is an exaggeration.

What he means is "no amount that they're going to give you."

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:43 pm

Are you going to marry your boyfriend? Can you guys handle 3 years of long distance?

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:41 pm

Harvard

Being able to say you went to Harvard Law is awesome, you should be so lucky!

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:51 pm

I love the idea of being debt free but I think Harvard has to be the choice here. You may well regret it if you don't go.

Return to “Financial Aid”