Harvard V. UCLA

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
HNSA15

Harvard V. UCLA

Postby HNSA15 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:26 pm

I originally deposited at UCLA, only to be admitted to Harvard a week later. At that point, I would have had to take out about $50k in loans for all three years at UCLA due to a scholarship I received. I decided to attend Harvard and sent in my deposit to Harvard and withdrawal letter to UCLA yesterday. UCLA then immediately called me to offer a full tuition scholarship, including all fees and fee increases for the next 3 years and now I'm STUCK! I believe that the minimum loan I would have to take for Harvard would be $120k, while the max will me $210k (depends on my financial aid offer).

So...do I go to Harvard and incur the huge debt, or do I go to UCLA and graduate completely debt free?

I should also mention that I've lived in Socal my entire life, and live really close to UCLA (went there for undergrad), and my family and long-time boyfriend are here with me, so Harvard would be a huge change for me.

Please let me know what you guys think, I keep going back and forth!!!

Thanks

Curry

Re: Harvard V. UCLA

Postby Curry » Sat May 21, 2011 3:29 pm

Go to Harvard.

HNSA15

Postby HNSA15 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:30 pm

Curry wrote:Go to Harvard.

Reasons???

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:30 pm

Go to UCLA, 0 debt from a strong school cannot be beat

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:32 pm

First of all OP, congrats -- many people here would give an arm to be in a dilemma like yours.
I would actually say this is a pretty tough decision. Do you see yourself working and living in SoCal long-term? I would say either way you can't go wrong.

sonervous88

Postby sonervous88 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:33 pm

UCLA-b/c i want your spot at harvard. jk it realy depends on how debt adverse you are. there's no bad choice. if you'll be happier a ucla go. if you think you need harvard, go. win win. good luck!

Curry

Postby Curry » Sat May 21, 2011 3:33 pm

HNSA15 wrote:

Reasons???

Its the second best school in the nation (shut up stanford trolls). It opens up possibilities that you just wont get from UCLA. If you want to do Public interest work, you'll be covered under their LRAP. If you want to work in biglaw, your chances from harvard are CONSIDERABLY better than they are from UCLA. The LA legal market is oversaturated. Harvard grades HP P NP while UCLA has A B C D E F grades. Also. Its Harvard.

HNSA15

Postby HNSA15 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:33 pm

dpk711 wrote:First of all OP, congrats -- many people here would give an arm to be in a dilemma like yours.
I would actually say this is a pretty tough decision. Do you see yourself working and living in SoCal long-term? I would say either way you can't go wrong.

Thank you! I would like to live and work in LA once I am done with school. I'm just having such a hard time picking between prestige and cost

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:35 pm

HNSA15 wrote:
dpk711 wrote:First of all OP, congrats -- many people here would give an arm to be in a dilemma like yours.

Thank you! I would like to live and work in LA once I am done with school. I'm just having such a hard time picking between prestige and cost

You can't go wrong either way, but can I ask you how debt adverse you are right now?

sonervous88

Postby sonervous88 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:37 pm

HNSA15 wrote:

if that's the case then i say ucla. seriously this time.

HNSA15

Postby HNSA15 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:37 pm

dpk711 wrote:
HNSA15 wrote:

You can't go wrong either way, but can I ask you how debt adverse you are right now?

Well, typically, I tend to really hate the thought of debt. I turned down a lot of east coast offers so I could attend UCLA and save the living costs. However, now that its come to Harvard, I feel like I would be willing to incur that debt. I just don't know if I'm being irrational or if my decision makes logical sense.

tothePAIN

Postby tothePAIN » Sat May 21, 2011 3:38 pm

You're from LA. You want to work in LA. You can graduate with 0 debt. Stay and enjoy LA.

Harvard is nice and all but if you want to be back in LA, UCLA with full tuition is worth it.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat May 21, 2011 3:40 pm

Curry wrote:
HNSA15 wrote:

Reasons???

Its the second best school in the nation (shut up stanford trolls). It opens up possibilities that you just wont get from UCLA. If you want to do Public interest work, you'll be covered under their LRAP. If you want to work in biglaw, your chances from harvard are CONSIDERABLY better than they are from UCLA. The LA legal market is oversaturated. Harvard grades HP P NP while UCLA has A B C D E F grades. Also. Its Harvard.

Harvard has low passes as well.

Curry

Postby Curry » Sat May 21, 2011 3:41 pm

tothePAIN wrote:You're from LA. You want to work in LA. You can graduate with 0 debt. Stay and enjoy LA.

Harvard is nice and all but if you want to be back in LA, UCLA with full tuition is worth it.

Depends what he wants to do. If he wants biglaw, there is a 7/10 chance he doesn't get it from UCLA.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:41 pm

I would say for your case, especially because you said you want to work in SoCal and because you said you don't like the idea of debt, go to UCLA for free.

And besides OP, you know what's cooler than getting a Harvard Law degree?
Saying that you turned down a Harvard Law degree. :D

tothePAIN

Postby tothePAIN » Sat May 21, 2011 3:44 pm

First off, OP is female, see "long time boyfriend".

Second off, big law isn't everything and is often needed only to pay off the student loan debt.

We really need OP's preferences. I know that personally, I'd prefer the mythical midlaw where the hours allow for more quality of life.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat May 21, 2011 3:45 pm

OK, I understand the attraction of no debt, but honestly I say go with Harvard. I am also from socal and I have friends going to UCLA Law who have come to me and been like "DO NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL. EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES SUCK BALLS." And these are people who are above median and got in with schollies... (and this is totally anecdotal, so take it with a grain of salt ^_^)

IMO, Harvard will give you great networking opps AND will give you MUCH more mobility. If, in the future, you decide you'd like to move elsewhere (things happen), Harvard will give you much more flexibility than UCLA. On top of that, the prestige and lack of grades make employment a higher possibility post-grad than at UCLA. AND Harvard has an excellent LRAP.

And I'm too lazy to do this but if someone wants to compare/contrast employment stats for UCLA and H for OP, that would be awesome :mrgreen:

ETA: additionally, here's the LRAP info for Harvard: http://www.top-law-schools.com/tls-guide-to-lrap-harvard.html

dpk711 wrote:And besides OP, you know what's cooler than getting a Harvard Law degree?
Saying that you turned down a Harvard Law degree. :D
Disagree with this...you're not going to get points for saying you turned down HLS, lol...anyone can bullshit and say they did that, that's not impressive in any sense. :? Please, if you go with UCLA, don't ever try to use that as a cool thing to say to someone.

Curry

Postby Curry » Sat May 21, 2011 3:47 pm

UCLA doesn't have LRAP. They force you to use IBR iirc

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat May 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Curry wrote:UCLA doesn't have LRAP. They force you to use IBR iirc

Doesn't matter, OP wouldn't have any debt from UCLA so it's not an issue.

Curry

Postby Curry » Sat May 21, 2011 3:52 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Curry wrote:UCLA doesn't have LRAP. They force you to use IBR iirc

Doesn't matter, OP wouldn't have any debt from UCLA so it's not an issue.

I misread what you wanted to compare and contrast. Woops.

HNSA15

Postby HNSA15 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:52 pm

Yes, I'm female.

I know that going to UCLA makes logical sense because I wouldn't have to pay a single dollar and still be close to everyone who is important to me. I just don't know if I'll ever get a chance to go to a school like Harvard again. I feel like this might be once in a lifetime opportunity. With that said, going to a #14 law school and graduating with 0 debt might also be a once in a lifetime opportunity. And the circle just goes around and around....

sonervous88

Postby sonervous88 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:54 pm

oP you might have more luck with a poll. just saying.

HNSA15

Postby HNSA15 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:55 pm

sonervous88 wrote:oP you might have more luck with a poll. just saying.

How do i do that?

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:56 pm

HNSA15 wrote:Yes, I'm female.

I know that going to UCLA makes logical sense because I wouldn't have to pay a single dollar and still be close to everyone who is important to me. I just don't know if I'll ever get a chance to go to a school like Harvard again. I feel like this might be once in a lifetime opportunity. With that said, going to a #14 law school and graduating with 0 debt might also be a once in a lifetime opportunity. And the circle just goes around and around....

#16 :) . Honestly, if you see yourself banging your head against a desk for the rest of your life regretting not going to Harvard then you should go. But going to a great regional school for free at a place that you want to live is a pretty damn good deal.

sonervous88

Postby sonervous88 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:56 pm

HNSA15 wrote:
sonervous88 wrote:oP you might have more luck with a poll. just saying.

How do i do that?

hmmm at this point im not sure. there should have been an option when you started the thread.

Return to “Financial Aid”