Post 9/11 gi bill 2.0 Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
jorgepesok

New

Post 9/11 gi bill 2.0

Post by jorgepesok » Fri May 06, 2011 1:11 pm

Last edited by jorgepesok on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

tittsburghfeelers

Bronze

Re: Post 9/11 gi bill 2.0

Post by tittsburghfeelers » Mon May 09, 2011 2:05 pm

jorgepesok wrote:I will be attending the University of Minnesota Law School. I am a veteran collecting the Post 9/11 gi bill at a rate of 60%. I was wondering how the new stipulation in the Post 9/11 gi bill 2.0 will effect me.

(The Post 9/11 GI bill will now pay all public in-state tuition, including graduate school. It will pay up to $17,500 per year for private school tuition. (Effective 8/1/2011)

Does that mean that that I no longer have to worry about tuition costs?
You're severely misguided. The gi bill 2.0 is in response to budget cuts by Obama, meaning that parts of the gi bill have been reduced. As a Minnesota resident, you can get up to $450 per credit hour. At 60%, you're eligible for $270 per credit hour. I'm not going to do much more research for you, but I'll assume that $270 per credit hour is much less than the tuition for UM, even if you have in-state tuition. Interestingly enough, according to the link that I've provided for you, Minnesota covers a TON of fees, not covered by many other states. But still, yes you do have to worry about tuition costs and you really need to do more research into this.

http://www.army-portal.com/benefits/gib ... esota.html

jorgepesok

New

Post by jorgepesok » Mon May 09, 2011 2:18 pm

Last edited by jorgepesok on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

tittsburghfeelers

Bronze

Post by tittsburghfeelers » Tue May 10, 2011 9:24 am

jorgepesok wrote:First of all the research YOU have done is incorrect. As for the answer to my question which I was able to get from a GI BILL representative, The GI BILL 2.0 will cover 60% of the in-state tuition at UMN.

Next time if you do not know the answer to a question it would be much easier to just skip it over rather than trying to sound like you know what you are talking about and coming off as an idiot.
Yes, the GI BILL 2.0 will cover 60% of the in-state tuition at UMN for an undergrad degree. When you asked the question to the GI Bill representative, you should have specified that you are going to law school and not getting an undergrad degree. The information is right there in big ass letters from army-portal, a website responsible for providing knowledge and information to veterans who are often misinformed or lied to. The max among per credit hour at any school in Minnesota is $450. Take 60% of that, and you get how much money you'll receive towards your tuition. Housing, fees, books, and supplies are a different matter, if you look at the large amount of fees covered by the new Gi BIll.

In no way have I came off like an idiot. You came off like an idiot because you flipped out once you received the answer that you didn't want to hear. And I didn't even have to do much research into the topic as I knew the information regarding the gi bill 2.0 off the top of my head, I simply googled the info and provided the link for you so that you weren't taking it from me as hear-say, and you could look up the info yourself.

I took a little time out of my day to help you out and then you call me an idiot when you don't like hearing the correct answer to your question. Therefore - fuck off.

jorgepesok

New

Post by jorgepesok » Tue May 10, 2011 9:42 am

Last edited by jorgepesok on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jarv1506

New

Post by jarv1506 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:46 am

If you want to get a rough estimate of what the Post 9/11 will pay try: http://www.newgibill.org/calculator
Its not gospel but it will give you a good idea of what your payments will look like. It gives yo a breakdown of the tuition and fee payments as well as your living allowance.

edit: it hasn't been updated for GI Bill 2.0, but it will at least get you in the ballpark. The update should be coming soon.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:50 am

tittsburghfeelers wrote:
jorgepesok wrote:First of all the research YOU have done is incorrect. As for the answer to my question which I was able to get from a GI BILL representative, The GI BILL 2.0 will cover 60% of the in-state tuition at UMN.

Next time if you do not know the answer to a question it would be much easier to just skip it over rather than trying to sound like you know what you are talking about and coming off as an idiot.
Yes, the GI BILL 2.0 will cover 60% of the in-state tuition at UMN for an undergrad degree. When you asked the question to the GI Bill representative, you should have specified that you are going to law school and not getting an undergrad degree. The information is right there in big ass letters from army-portal, a website responsible for providing knowledge and information to veterans who are often misinformed or lied to. The max among per credit hour at any school in Minnesota is $450. Take 60% of that, and you get how much money you'll receive towards your tuition. Housing, fees, books, and supplies are a different matter, if you look at the large amount of fees covered by the new Gi BIll.

In no way have I came off like an idiot. You came off like an idiot because you flipped out once you received the answer that you didn't want to hear. And I didn't even have to do much research into the topic as I knew the information regarding the gi bill 2.0 off the top of my head, I simply googled the info and provided the link for you so that you weren't taking it from me as hear-say, and you could look up the info yourself.

I took a little time out of my day to help you out and then you call me an idiot when you don't like hearing the correct answer to your question. Therefore - fuck off.
yes you did and you still are. YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will cover 60% of your law school bill.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Tue May 10, 2011 9:51 am

There will be no hourly rates in the post 9/11 GI Bill next year (edit: for ANY program at a public institution of higher learning)

As for the original question, yes you will have to worry about tuition & fees: 40%.

Also there aresome reductions here and there like the elimination of break pay of housing allowances etc. http://www.gibill.va.gov is pretty helpful now that more info is being put out about the changes.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:54 am

jorgepesok wrote:Again you are not reading the information correctly. The 60% applies to graduate school as well, I have verified this by calling up UMN financial aid. There is a lot of confusion when ever a change is made with the GI Bill and it always takes a long time for the schools to get the information. I did not get mad at you because you were giving me an answer I did not want to hear, I became upset because you think that I wouldnt do the research myself. If I post a question on here it is because there is no information out there.

The information you provided is only valid until Aug. 2011.
You are completely right. I've spoken with various law schools. Two Regional offices and I've been approved for the GI Bill to two different public LAW schools (Berkeley and Virginia) and they both cover 100% of instate tutition (because I'm at the 100% mark). I think the poster from abovce just didn't do any research at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:55 am

Rotor wrote:There will be no hourly rates in the post 9/11 GI Bill next year (edit: for ANY program at a public institution of higher learning)

As for the original question, yes you will have to worry about tuition & fees: 40%.

Also there aresome reductions here and there like the elimination of break pay of housing allowances etc. http://www.gibill.va.gov is pretty helpful now that more info is being put out about the changes.
As usual Rotor's info is credited. unlike titsburgh. I hate when people come on here and spout misinformation to Vets. Do your homework first!

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Tue May 10, 2011 10:05 am

Thanks uncommon1.

OP, there's more discussion about the last few pages of http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=400

jorgepesok

New

Post by jorgepesok » Tue May 10, 2011 10:10 am

Last edited by jorgepesok on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

DrackedaryMaster

Bronze

Post by DrackedaryMaster » Fri May 20, 2011 2:20 pm

Hey, guys, dumb Post 9/11-GI Bill question here. I didn't get the warm fuzzies when the lady from the VA tried to answer it, so I was hoping someone here might know.

My question is since the housing stipend is prorated based on the length of the semster (if classes/school starts Aug 23, you get 8 days for August, etc), how is the end of the semester determined for benefits purpose? Do housing stipend benefits stop based on the last day of classes for the semester or do they continue through the last day of the reading/exam period? I'm trying to work my budget out for the rest of the year and this info will effect December/May information.

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Fri May 20, 2011 10:05 pm

DrackedaryMaster wrote:Hey, guys, dumb Post 9/11-GI Bill question here. I didn't get the warm fuzzies when the lady from the VA tried to answer it, so I was hoping someone here might know.

My question is since the housing stipend is prorated based on the length of the semster (if classes/school starts Aug 23, you get 8 days for August, etc), how is the end of the semester determined for benefits purpose? Do housing stipend benefits stop based on the last day of classes for the semester or do they continue through the last day of the reading/exam period? I'm trying to work my budget out for the rest of the year and this info will effect December/May information.
When you get your letter showing what benefits you're going to get for the semester it will have a start and end date of the semester, e.g. 23 Aug 2011-15 Dec 2011, and your housing benefits will stop on 15 Dec 2011, so you will get the monthly rate prorated to 15 days at the end of December.

ETA: I'm sorry, I didn't actually answer your question there, but the end date is the last day of exams for the semester.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”