Parental Contribution Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
memphisbelle

Bronze

Parental Contribution

Post by memphisbelle » Wed May 04, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi,

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere on here (I did a search already but didn't find what I am looking for). Is there any way to receive an exemption from submitting parental financial info for those schools that request it? My mother doesn't work and I'm not in contact with my father. He makes quite a bit of money but I don't see any of it. I've already been through this with UG (he wouldn't fill out the forms correctly, so I had to wait until I could file my FAFSA as an independant student). Since I'll be responsible for all my LS expenses, I think an EFC could really mess up my chances of getting what I need.

Thoughts?

sarahh

Silver

Re: Parental Contribution

Post by sarahh » Thu May 05, 2011 5:52 pm

memphisbelle wrote:Hi,

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere on here (I did a search already but didn't find what I am looking for). Is there any way to receive an exemption from submitting parental financial info for those schools that request it? My mother doesn't work and I'm not in contact with my father. He makes quite a bit of money but I don't see any of it. I've already been through this with UG (he wouldn't fill out the forms correctly, so I had to wait until I could file my FAFSA as an independant student). Since I'll be responsible for all my LS expenses, I think an EFC could really mess up my chances of getting what I need.

Thoughts?
You should contact your school's financial aid office and ask. Some schools may grant an exemption if you have had no contact with your parent.

Return to “Financial Aid”