If a school asks for other awards...

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
fingersxd

If a school asks for other awards...

Postby fingersxd » Tue May 03, 2011 3:03 pm

I am in the process of negotiating aid with School X, which has asked me to provide a copy of my other award letters AND they also want to know where else I've put down a tuition deposit. Now while I undestand their viewpoint (i.e. this late in the cycle f I have already turned down a substantial scholly somewhere I shouldn't use it to negotiate), but I'm just not sure that they need to know where I've deposited.

Has anyone else come across this? And if so, did you provide teh requested info?

Can I just giev them the letters and not mention the deposits?

aliarrow

Re: If a school asks for other awards...

Postby aliarrow » Tue May 03, 2011 3:06 pm

I'd mention the deposits. Got me money from a school where the opposing school didn't even offer money (I just deposited because I liked it).

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Tue May 03, 2011 11:42 pm

they will get a list of the schools you deposited at anyway..

zonto

Postby zonto » Wed May 04, 2011 12:09 pm

Honesty is always the best policy. They will/can know after May 15 about the deposits anyway, so just be forthright and upfront if you really want to attend there.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Wed May 04, 2011 12:33 pm

Thanks all. I told the truth, but sadly they still didn't budge on their offer. This makes no sense to me as I showed them both identical and higher offers at 'better' schools as well as at peer schools -- very disappointing.

Return to “Financial Aid”