in disbelief that i was denied LSAC fee waiver..

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
horrorbusiness

in disbelief that i was denied LSAC fee waiver..

Postby horrorbusiness » Sun May 01, 2011 7:09 pm

Last edited by horrorbusiness on Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Knock

Re: in disbelief that i was denied LSAC fee waiver..

Postby Knock » Sun May 01, 2011 7:09 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:my last year's income: 7k
savings/checking: 1k

mom's last years income (single parent): 17k
savings/checking total: 10K (she is 62, unmarried, was just on unemployment, no foreseeable retirement ahead)

application DENIED. am I so wrong to be really surprised at this???

Appeal?

Edit: http://www.top-law-schools.com/guide-to ... ivers.html

If a request for a fee waiver is initially denied, candidates have the right to petition the LSAC to reevaluate their application. Candidates who can show extremely extenuating circumstances (i.e. a moderate-sized savings account, but absolutely no income and a high expense level) are occasionally able to convince LSAC to issue a fee waiver on appeal.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sun May 01, 2011 7:11 pm

you must appeal. I got a fee waiver like nothing. good luck

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Sun May 01, 2011 7:12 pm

kwais wrote:you must appeal. I got a fee waiver like nothing. good luck

you mean you got the fee waiver like nothing after you appealed? or the first time you applied?

kwais

Postby kwais » Sun May 01, 2011 7:15 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:

you mean you got the fee waiver like nothing after you appealed? or the first time you applied?

first time. I hadn't even filed taxes the previous year so they just gave it to me no questions asked. I don't know why they denied you. I guess my story doesn't solve your problem, just noting what I thought to be a very low bar for qualification

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Sun May 01, 2011 7:19 pm

Last edited by horrorbusiness on Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed May 04, 2011 1:55 pm

They want to know how your family collectively managed to save $11,000 on a combined income of $24,000 per year. They are probably assuming you have some unclaimed source of earnings.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed May 04, 2011 2:24 pm

I was denied too last year and my situation was similar (around 1k in savings, made about 10k the previous year -- but was far too old to consider parental information).

They gave me the same reason -- too much savings. I wonder if switching your savings to your checking account and then appealing would make a difference. It seems like they won't give it to you if you have anything saved at all.

Although it sucks that you might not get the LSAC fee waiver, you may still be able to get need-based fee waivers from the schools you apply to.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Wed May 04, 2011 2:39 pm

kwais wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:

first time. I hadn't even filed taxes the previous year so they just gave it to me no questions asked. I don't know why they denied you. I guess my story doesn't solve your problem, just noting what I thought to be a very low bar for qualification

I've always thought the opposite. I was able to get one but my family's combined income was 1/3 of the American poverty level, and I know others who had marginally more in income and very small savings that still got denied.

aaaaaah

Postby aaaaaah » Fri May 06, 2011 10:21 am

I was denied too and was completely broke. I definitely could not afford application fees, so I applied (and then begged) for individual fee waivers for all of my target schools. I ended up applying to 18 and paying only one application fee. Those $12 fees really suck, but won't make you dip too far into savings. You may have to do a little more work, but you can definitely keep application costs down.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Fri May 06, 2011 11:04 am

I got the lsac fee waiver too, and my income was similar to yours so I'm sure it was the savings. I'm guessing they just figure you can take the app fees out of the 11K in savings.

Anyway, you only get four of the $12 fees waived with the lsac waiver anyway, after that you do have to pay those, just not the app fees.

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Fri May 06, 2011 10:38 pm

Last edited by horrorbusiness on Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Sun May 08, 2011 3:44 pm

this is so strange seeing as two of my friends (early 20s) who make 35k a year (plus whatever their parents make) were granted the fee waiver... It made me mad that I didn't try.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Sun May 08, 2011 3:46 pm

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:49 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:application DENIED.

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Sun May 08, 2011 4:55 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
sidhesadie wrote:I got the lsac fee waiver too, and my income was similar to yours so I'm sure it was the savings. I'm guessing they just figure you can take the app fees out of the 11K in savings.

Anyway, you only get four of the $12 fees waived with the lsac waiver anyway, after that you do have to pay those, just not the app fees.

thanks for the replies everyone. to this one: yeah, it was the savings, they specifically said that. thing is, my mom isn't in a position to hand over a cent of that. it's basically her only retirement fund. i'm getting ready to send my appeal in. i think once lsac sees that she is on unemployment, and i explain that money is all she has to retire, (let alone, she has no house/husband/job) they will reconsider. i'll update this when i find out!

you are your mothers new retirement plan.

sdwhodat

Postby sdwhodat » Thu May 12, 2011 11:54 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:thanks for the replies everyone. to this one: yeah, it was the savings, they specifically said that. thing is, my mom isn't in a position to hand over a cent of that. it's basically her only retirement fund. i'm getting ready to send my appeal in. i think once lsac sees that she is on unemployment, and i explain that money is all she has to retire, (let alone, she has no house/husband/job) they will reconsider. i'll update this when i find out!

I had nearly the same situation. I appealed and they approved. As long as you explained your mom's situation clearly, you should be fine.

Return to “Financial Aid”