in disbelief that i was denied LSAC fee waiver..

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
horrorbusiness
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

in disbelief that i was denied LSAC fee waiver..

Postby horrorbusiness » Sun May 01, 2011 7:09 pm

.
Last edited by horrorbusiness on Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: in disbelief that i was denied LSAC fee waiver..

Postby Knock » Sun May 01, 2011 7:09 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:my last year's income: 7k
savings/checking: 1k

mom's last years income (single parent): 17k
savings/checking total: 10K (she is 62, unmarried, was just on unemployment, no foreseeable retirement ahead)

application DENIED. am I so wrong to be really surprised at this???


Appeal?

Edit: http://www.top-law-schools.com/guide-to ... ivers.html

If a request for a fee waiver is initially denied, candidates have the right to petition the LSAC to reevaluate their application. Candidates who can show extremely extenuating circumstances (i.e. a moderate-sized savings account, but absolutely no income and a high expense level) are occasionally able to convince LSAC to issue a fee waiver on appeal.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: in disbelief that i was denied LSAC fee waiver..

Postby kwais » Sun May 01, 2011 7:11 pm

you must appeal. I got a fee waiver like nothing. good luck

horrorbusiness
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: in disbelief that i was denied LSAC fee waiver..

Postby horrorbusiness » Sun May 01, 2011 7:12 pm

kwais wrote:you must appeal. I got a fee waiver like nothing. good luck



you mean you got the fee waiver like nothing after you appealed? or the first time you applied?

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: in disbelief that i was denied LSAC fee waiver..

Postby kwais » Sun May 01, 2011 7:15 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
kwais wrote:you must appeal. I got a fee waiver like nothing. good luck



you mean you got the fee waiver like nothing after you appealed? or the first time you applied?


first time. I hadn't even filed taxes the previous year so they just gave it to me no questions asked. I don't know why they denied you. I guess my story doesn't solve your problem, just noting what I thought to be a very low bar for qualification

horrorbusiness
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: in disbelief that i was denied LSAC fee waiver..

Postby horrorbusiness » Sun May 01, 2011 7:19 pm

.
Last edited by horrorbusiness on Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: in disbelief that i was denied LSAC fee waiver..

Postby bdubs » Wed May 04, 2011 1:55 pm

They want to know how your family collectively managed to save $11,000 on a combined income of $24,000 per year. They are probably assuming you have some unclaimed source of earnings.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: in disbelief that i was denied LSAC fee waiver..

Postby cinephile » Wed May 04, 2011 2:24 pm

I was denied too last year and my situation was similar (around 1k in savings, made about 10k the previous year -- but was far too old to consider parental information).

They gave me the same reason -- too much savings. I wonder if switching your savings to your checking account and then appealing would make a difference. It seems like they won't give it to you if you have anything saved at all.

Although it sucks that you might not get the LSAC fee waiver, you may still be able to get need-based fee waivers from the schools you apply to.

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: in disbelief that i was denied LSAC fee waiver..

Postby Moxie » Wed May 04, 2011 2:39 pm

kwais wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:
kwais wrote:you must appeal. I got a fee waiver like nothing. good luck



you mean you got the fee waiver like nothing after you appealed? or the first time you applied?


first time. I hadn't even filed taxes the previous year so they just gave it to me no questions asked. I don't know why they denied you. I guess my story doesn't solve your problem, just noting what I thought to be a very low bar for qualification


I've always thought the opposite. I was able to get one but my family's combined income was 1/3 of the American poverty level, and I know others who had marginally more in income and very small savings that still got denied.

User avatar
aaaaaah
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Re: in disbelief that i was denied LSAC fee waiver..

Postby aaaaaah » Fri May 06, 2011 10:21 am

I was denied too and was completely broke. I definitely could not afford application fees, so I applied (and then begged) for individual fee waivers for all of my target schools. I ended up applying to 18 and paying only one application fee. Those $12 fees really suck, but won't make you dip too far into savings. You may have to do a little more work, but you can definitely keep application costs down.

sidhesadie
Posts: 454
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: in disbelief that i was denied LSAC fee waiver..

Postby sidhesadie » Fri May 06, 2011 11:04 am

I got the lsac fee waiver too, and my income was similar to yours so I'm sure it was the savings. I'm guessing they just figure you can take the app fees out of the 11K in savings.


Anyway, you only get four of the $12 fees waived with the lsac waiver anyway, after that you do have to pay those, just not the app fees.

horrorbusiness
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: in disbelief that i was denied LSAC fee waiver..

Postby horrorbusiness » Fri May 06, 2011 10:38 pm

.
Last edited by horrorbusiness on Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: in disbelief that i was denied LSAC fee waiver..

Postby sarahlawg » Sun May 08, 2011 3:44 pm

this is so strange seeing as two of my friends (early 20s) who make 35k a year (plus whatever their parents make) were granted the fee waiver... It made me mad that I didn't try.

User avatar
Jack Smirks
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 am

Re: in disbelief that i was denied LSAC fee waiver..

Postby Jack Smirks » Sun May 08, 2011 3:46 pm

kwais wrote:you must appeal. I got a fee waiver like nothing. good luck

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: in disbelief that i was denied LSAC fee waiver..

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:49 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:application DENIED.

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: in disbelief that i was denied LSAC fee waiver..

Postby pleasetryagain » Sun May 08, 2011 4:55 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
sidhesadie wrote:I got the lsac fee waiver too, and my income was similar to yours so I'm sure it was the savings. I'm guessing they just figure you can take the app fees out of the 11K in savings.


Anyway, you only get four of the $12 fees waived with the lsac waiver anyway, after that you do have to pay those, just not the app fees.


thanks for the replies everyone. to this one: yeah, it was the savings, they specifically said that. thing is, my mom isn't in a position to hand over a cent of that. it's basically her only retirement fund. i'm getting ready to send my appeal in. i think once lsac sees that she is on unemployment, and i explain that money is all she has to retire, (let alone, she has no house/husband/job) they will reconsider. i'll update this when i find out!


you are your mothers new retirement plan.

User avatar
sdwhodat
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: in disbelief that i was denied LSAC fee waiver..

Postby sdwhodat » Thu May 12, 2011 11:54 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:thanks for the replies everyone. to this one: yeah, it was the savings, they specifically said that. thing is, my mom isn't in a position to hand over a cent of that. it's basically her only retirement fund. i'm getting ready to send my appeal in. i think once lsac sees that she is on unemployment, and i explain that money is all she has to retire, (let alone, she has no house/husband/job) they will reconsider. i'll update this when i find out!


I had nearly the same situation. I appealed and they approved. As long as you explained your mom's situation clearly, you should be fine.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest