Using lawschoolnumbers to negotiate

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
aguaman13

Using lawschoolnumbers to negotiate

Postby aguaman13 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:55 pm

I was admitted without a scholarship offer to a school that I am very interested in attending. I'm wondering if any of you have utilized the info from lawschoolnumbers to negotiate scholarship money. I know that the site does not have complete data for every school, but it does appear that the majority of those who were offered money from this particular school will not be attending. I also know that I have one of the highest LSAT scores amongst those who have not withdrawn (this is actually supported by the ABA data for the school). Can any of you recommend a way to utilize that knowledge for leverage in negotiations?

Thanks

Leira7905

Re: Using lawschoolnumbers to negotiate

Postby Leira7905 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:00 pm

Yikes, I don't know if I'd try that, Bro. Others might have a different opinion, but I think that's awfully risky. I mean, the data on LSN is inputted by the users (i.e. not necessarily accurate)

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:02 pm

aguaman13 wrote:I was admitted without a scholarship offer to a school that I am very interested in attending. I'm wondering if any of you have utilized the info from lawschoolnumbers to negotiate scholarship money. I know that the site does not have complete data for every school, but it does appear that the majority of those who were offered money from this particular school will not be attending. I also know that I have one of the highest LSAT scores amongst those who have not withdrawn (this is actually supported by the ABA data for the school). Can any of you recommend a way to utilize that knowledge for leverage in negotiations?

Thanks

I think it's a weak move. It's a holistic process. You don't know if John Smith cured cancer as a soft. You don't even know if John Smith is a real profile. Honestly, it screams out psycho girlfriend material.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:04 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
aguaman13 wrote:I was admitted without a scholarship offer to a school that I am very interested in attending. I'm wondering if any of you have utilized the info from lawschoolnumbers to negotiate scholarship money. I know that the site does not have complete data for every school, but it does appear that the majority of those who were offered money from this particular school will not be attending. I also know that I have one of the highest LSAT scores amongst those who have not withdrawn (this is actually supported by the ABA data for the school). Can any of you recommend a way to utilize that knowledge for leverage in negotiations?

Thanks

I think it's a weak move. It's a holistic process. You don't know if John Smith cured cancer as a soft. You don't even know if John Smith is a real profile. Honestly, it screams out psycho girlfriend material.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:26 pm

Honestly, I kind of like how law schools make their offers. It's not like UG or grad programs. There's no bullshit - almost all stats. It's kind of like being a professional athlete who relative to each other are the only people that are paid fairly. I'm not saying it's fair for them to make 20 mil a year - I'm saying it's fair their performance dictates their money.

aguaman13

Postby aguaman13 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:45 pm

Thanks for the responses.

The reasons that you guys gave are exactly why I didn't go ahead and do it already. I'm just looking for an angle to get some money and wanted to bounce the idea around.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:00 am

aguaman13 wrote:Thanks for the responses.

The reasons that you guys gave are exactly why I didn't go ahead and do it already. I'm just looking for an angle to get some money and wanted to bounce the idea around.

try stating why you want to attend, and what you would do for the school. if you have no tangible "better" offer, this might be the smartest way to go - if they like you, maybe they'll be nice. money means much less to them than it does to us as they have much more of it.

Return to “Financial Aid”