when to negotiate?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:38 am

when to negotiate?

Postby justhoping » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:38 pm

So here's the deal:

Duke already sent out its FinAid decision by the time I received Cornell's, but it still hasn't reached me at my international address (has been 2 wks already). I suspect that their offer would not be as high as Cornell's because I was accepted off their priority reserve. Duke's deposit deadline is Apr.29 and it requires me to withdraw from all acceptances so I need to decide soon.

I want to call Duke tomorrow and try to find out how much (if any) $ I'm getting, would they release such info over the phone, or should I just wait for the letter? And is it too late to negotiate at this time?

Or perhaps I should ask for an extension to the deposit until the FinAid decision arrives?

any help would be appreciated!

Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: when to negotiate?

Postby FiveSermon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:40 am

Call them and ask for info. It can't hurt you.

As for asking for a deposit you can try. Do it over email. I don't know how successful you will be (I tried to GWU and they flat out denied me).

User avatar
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: when to negotiate?

Postby zonto » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:43 pm

Call is better I think.

I got an extra 10 days at one school because I called and explained that I got my financial info only a couple days before the deadline. Can't hurt to ask!

Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: when to negotiate?

Postby firemed » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:48 pm

Call is TCR.

Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests