Loyola Law-LA Financial Aid

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
aryathegreat

Loyola Law-LA Financial Aid

Postby aryathegreat » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:36 pm

Im trying to ahead and accept Loyola-La's scholarship offer of 87K over three years provided I'm in the top 30% of the class, however, Ive heard rumors that the school can take certain actions to cut these scholarships down (i.e. place most of the kids with scholarships in one class). Does anyone know how this works or how difficult it is to keep these kinds of scholarships?

I already tried to ask for more aid, being above both medians for Loyola-LA but they just shot me down. Any success stories?

Im trying to make sure im not going to be stuck 2nd year with sticker.

Re: Loyola Law-LA Financial Aid

Postby 071816 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:49 pm

I emailed the admissions office about a month ago to ask a few questions about Loyola scholarships and this is how they responded (this may answer some of your questions):

Mr. X

All of our scholarships have the same renewal criteria. I don't have any solid data on what percentage of the scholarship recipients renew their scholarship under this criteria because this is the first year we have used the top 30% as a criteria. I estimated based on previous data that about 40% of scholarship recipients will renew their scholarships. I also estimate that we will have somewhere around a 130 to 140 recipients.

If you do not renew after your first year the scholarship is lost for the remaining two years. We do have other privately donated scholarships that you could qualify for, but they are in small amounts and are fairly competitive.

Our 1L sections are divided evenly based on academic factors (primarily LSAT and GPA). In addition, we divide them out evenly based on gender and diversity.

I think I answered your questions, but if you have others please feel free to contact me.

*Also, don't forgot about our scholarship reception on April 14 at the City Club in downtown LA and the preview day on April 15 here on campus.

Thanks,

John Hoyt
Dean for Enrollment Management
Last edited by 071816 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:53 pm

aryathegreat wrote:Im trying to make sure im not going to be stuck 2nd year with sticker.

With a top 1/3 stipulation, this is the most likely scenario to occur.

aryathegreat

Postby aryathegreat » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:04 pm

bk1 wrote:
aryathegreat wrote:Im trying to make sure im not going to be stuck 2nd year with sticker.

thats what im afraid of.

chimp, i also sent an email like that and got a similar response. I also inquired about the dean's scholarship but said that would be announced later in the month. I guess thats my only option left besides rolling the dice...

Postby 071816 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:06 pm

aryathegreat wrote:
bk1 wrote:

thats what im afraid of.

chimp, i also sent an email like that and got a similar response. I also inquired about the dean's scholarship but said that would be announced later in the month. I guess thats my only option left besides rolling the dice...

Out of curiosity, what are your other options? Do you have any ties to the LA area? Where do you want to practice?

aryathegreat

Postby aryathegreat » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:14 pm

chimp wrote:
aryathegreat wrote:
bk1 wrote:

thats what im afraid of.

Out of curiosity, what are your other options? Do you have any ties to the LA area? Where do you want to practice?

davis and hastings, WL at LA and SC. As you can tell, Im trying to stay in the LA area where all my ties are and ultimately where I want to practice.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:18 pm

aryathegreat wrote:davis and hastings, WL at LA and SC. As you can tell, Im trying to stay in the LA area where all my ties are and ultimately where I want to practice.

Davis/Hastings can get you LA just fine, but at sticker they are a bad idea.

aryathegreat wrote:thats what im afraid of.

I would evaluate whether you should go to Loyola based on the assumption that you won't end up renewing your scholarship.

Postby 071816 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:24 pm

Last edited by 071816 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:28 pm

chimp wrote:I will most likely be attending Loyola in the fall (unless I get off the USC or Michigan waitlist) and was offered the 87k scholarhip. I emailed the admissions office about a month ago to ask a few questions about Loyola scholarships and this is how they responded (this may answer some of your questions):

Mr. X

All of our scholarships have the same renewal criteria. I don't have any solid data on what percentage of the scholarship recipients renew their scholarship under this criteria because this is the first year we have used the top 30% as a criteria. I estimated based on previous data that about 40% of scholarship recipients will renew their scholarships. I also estimate that we will have somewhere around a 130 to 140 recipients.

If you do not renew after your first year the scholarship is lost for the remaining two years. We do have other privately donated scholarships that you could qualify for, but they are in small amounts and are fairly competitive.

Our 1L sections are divided evenly based on academic factors (primarily LSAT and GPA). In addition, we divide them out evenly based on gender and diversity.

I think I answered your questions, but if you have others please feel free to contact me.

*Also, don't forgot about our scholarship reception on April 14 at the City Club in downtown LA and the preview day on April 15 here on campus.

Thanks,

John Hoyt

Don't know if this is innocuous but was the previous standard top 1/3rd (aka T33%) and has now become Top 30%? That was the implication I got from the letter but I just assumed they have a Top 1/3rd requirement. Those renewal numbers are disturbingly low. Crunch the numbers on whether you could handle 1yr free and years 2 and 3 at sticker and then decide whether to go or not (don't forget COL).

Postby 071816 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:42 pm

arhmcpo wrote:
chimp wrote:I will most likely be attending Loyola in the fall (unless I get off the USC or Michigan waitlist) and was offered the 87k scholarhip. I emailed the admissions office about a month ago to ask a few questions about Loyola scholarships and this is how they responded (this may answer some of your questions):

Mr. X

Thanks,

John Hoyt

Don't know if this is innocuous but was the previous standard top 1/3rd (aka T33%) and has now become Top 30%? That was the implication I got from the letter but I just assumed they have a Top 1/3rd requirement. Those renewal numbers are disturbingly low. Crunch the numbers on whether you could handle 1yr free and years 2 and 3 at sticker and then decide whether to go or not (don't forget COL).

That's how I would interpret the letter. Honestly, I would go to Davis or Hastings over Loyola if I were to be offered grant money from either school (but I doubt this happens off the waitlist). However, even if I were to lose the scholarship at Loyola after 1L, the COA would still come out cheaper for me at Loyola than either Hastings or Davis at sticker. Plus, I would be in the region where I want to practice. I think the Davis/Hastings vs. Loyola decision can be a tough one for people who wish to practice in LA.

aryathegreat

Postby aryathegreat » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:56 pm

Thats exactly the position Im in. 25K a year at Davis, 11,800K at Hastings, but like you said, COL goes up there than in LA.

Postby 071816 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:03 pm

Last edited by 071816 on Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:06 pm

aryathegreat wrote:Thats exactly the position Im in. 25K a year at Davis, 11,800K at Hastings, but like you said, COL goes up there than in LA.

You have 75k at Davis? Davis can get you LA just fine, you should definitely already be withdrawing from Loyola and putting a deposit down at Davis.

Postby 071816 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:09 pm

Last edited by 071816 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:12 pm

chimp wrote:I actually agree with this, although I will most likely be at Loyola next year. Any thoughts on 87k at Loyola vs. sticker at Davis? I really don't know what I would do if I got off the Davis waitlist.

The problem is that you can't really look at it like 90k at Loyola. I'd look at it more like 30-50k (30k assured, and then a 1/3 chance of keeping 60k = 20k).

To be honest, I don't know what I would do in that situation either. I'd probably take Loyola and hope that I kept the scholly (which runs counter to the advice I noted in the first sentence above) considering sticker at Davis is awful.

Postby 071816 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:18 pm

Last edited by 071816 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

aryathegreat

Postby aryathegreat » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:21 pm

Something about Davis and their inflated rankings, tied with them being all the way up in Sac Town has diverted my attention away from them.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:23 pm

aryathegreat wrote:Something about Davis and their inflated rankings, tied with them being all the way up in Sac Town has diverted my attention away from them.

Being near Sac doesn't hurt their employment prospects. And all schools game the rankings. It seems absurd to take a worse scholarship offer (stipulations) at a worse school (Loyola) due to either of these things.

Postby 071816 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:26 pm

This really makes me curious about Davis placement in LA vs. Loyola placement in LA. I feel like there is a lot of speculation about this, but I have yet to see any conclusive data regarding this issue.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:27 pm

chimp wrote:This really makes me curious about Davis placement in LA vs. Loyola placement in LA. I feel like there is a lot of speculation about this, but I have yet to see any conclusive data regarding this issue.

Davis/Hastings students on TLS seem to say that you can get SoCal just fine from either school.

aryathegreat

Postby aryathegreat » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:28 pm

bk1 wrote:
aryathegreat wrote:Something about Davis and their inflated rankings, tied with them being all the way up in Sac Town has diverted my attention away from them.

Being near Sac doesn't hurt their employment prospects. And all schools game the rankings. It seems absurd to take a worse scholarship offer (stipulations) at a worse school (Loyola) due to either of these things.

all valid points. Its probably bc im married to the dream that ill get off waitlists at LA or SC that keep me from the committing to leave socal.

eminem

Postby eminem » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:29 pm

For what it is worth, their refusal to waive stipulations and my utter inability to get a non-evasive answer regarding scholarships was at least as much a factor in my withdrawal as the LA traffic.

Return to “Financial Aid”