ED asking for late scholly money?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
zephyr36
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:49 am

ED asking for late scholly money?

Postby zephyr36 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:39 pm

I'm an ED admit at one of MVP. I didn't get any money with my acceptance (surprise), but I was thinking of emailing financial aid to see if there is the potential of getting ANY money at all to help. My finaid packet was just straight loans. Is there any point to this since I'm an ED candidate and I'm locked into their school anyway? What if I mentioned that I may have to withdraw completely from the admissions process to work and save some money?

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: ED asking for late scholly money?

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:38 pm

You can try but the chances of actually getting money are slim.

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: ED asking for late scholly money?

Postby Sauer Grapes » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:42 pm

The only power you can exert is your decision whether or not to go to law school this year. If you want to threaten that, then by all means, try it. Basically, tell them you are considering not going to law school this year because you are concerned with the cost, and if you decide that, you'll be applying regular decision next year with hopes of getting some scholarship money somewhere.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1913
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: ED asking for late scholly money?

Postby Stringer Bell » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:48 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:The only power you can exert is your decision whether or not to go to law school this year. If you want to threaten that, then by all means, try it. Basically, tell them you are considering not going to law school this year because you are concerned with the cost, and if you decide that, you'll be applying regular decision next year with hopes of getting some scholarship money somewhere.


The way some of the ED contracts are written (well UVA's is anyways) states that you will attend the school. It doesn't say anything about releasing you out of the contract the following year. Now I'm sure there's absolutely no way they could litigate to make you attend if you didn't want to go to law school and I doubt they would litigate against you to prevent attending another school, but they can communicate with other admissions offices and recommend that they don't admit you.

If you really do want out of your ED contract to try and get some money somewhere next year, I would just have a heart to heart with the admissions office and let them know you feel like you made a mistake and you would like to reapply to some lower ranked schools next cycle with the hopes of getting some scholarship money. I absolutely would not threaten them.

zephyr36
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:49 am

Re: ED asking for late scholly money?

Postby zephyr36 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:01 pm

I did look over my ED contract carefully to make sure that I wouldn't be in the bad graces of UVA should I reapply and potentially attend another school. However, I also have an e-mail from an admissions officer informing me that ED applicants are considered for scholarship money. Therefore, I don't think it would be unreasonable to say that I was hoping to receive some grants to ease the COA and that I may need to try and reapply at UVA and other schools next year in the hopes of gaining some scholarship money.

06162014123
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:40 pm

:

Postby 06162014123 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:10 pm

.
Last edited by 06162014123 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: ED asking for late scholly money?

Postby Sauer Grapes » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:13 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:The only power you can exert is your decision whether or not to go to law school this year. If you want to threaten that, then by all means, try it. Basically, tell them you are considering not going to law school this year because you are concerned with the cost, and if you decide that, you'll be applying regular decision next year with hopes of getting some scholarship money somewhere.


If you really do want out of your ED contract to try and get some money somewhere next year, I would just have a heart to heart with the admissions office and let them know you feel like you made a mistake and you would like to reapply to some lower ranked schools next cycle with the hopes of getting some scholarship money. I absolutely would not threaten them.

It seems you misread the way I used threaten.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1913
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: ED asking for late scholly money?

Postby Stringer Bell » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:16 pm

UVA ED Contract wrote:I HAVE READ THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS AND UNDERSTAND the policies and practices that apply to Early Decision
admission at the University of Virginia School of Law. The University of Virginia is my first choice, and I wish to be
considered as an Early Decision candidate. If admitted under Early Decision provisions, I will enroll at the University of
Virginia School of Law. I further agree to withdraw all applications for admission to other law schools, and to initiate no new
applications to other law schools if admitted under this program.


Nowhere in there does it say anything about having the ability to apply to other schools the following year. Maybe they say something about it elsewhere on the site, but I haven't seen it. You can do whatever you want, but implying that you will seek admission at another school if you don't get any scholarship money sounds like a really bad idea to me.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1913
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: ED asking for late scholly money?

Postby Stringer Bell » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:25 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:It seems you misread the way I used threaten.


I'm pretty sure I understood what you meant. I wasn't assuming that you were advising OP to get on the phone and say "If you SOB's don't give me some money you can fuck off". But it did seem you were trying to advise OP that they should use the leverage of possibly sitting out next year and then reapplying next cycle as a possible way to approach the situation. OP has no leverage whatsoever. They are completely at the mercy of UVA. They can politely ask if they can be considered for scholarship money and then if that doesn't work they can ask UVA to let them out of their ED contract. UVA doesn't have to honor either request. If OP really does want out of the contract or wants scholarship money, trying to use any sort of leverage could be a really bad move.

zephyr36
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:49 am

Re: ED asking for late scholly money?

Postby zephyr36 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:27 pm

.
Last edited by zephyr36 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

socraticmethodman
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: ED asking for late scholly money?

Postby socraticmethodman » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:31 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:It seems you misread the way I used threaten.


I'm pretty sure I understood what you meant. I wasn't assuming that you were advising OP to get on the phone and say "If you SOB's don't give me some money you can fuck off". But it did seem you were trying to advise OP that they should use the leverage of possibly sitting out next year and then reapplying next cycle as a possible way to approach the situation. OP has no leverage whatsoever. They are completely at the mercy of UVA. They can politely ask if they can be considered for scholarship money and then if that doesn't work they can ask UVA to let them out of their ED contract. UVA doesn't have to honor either request. If OP really does want out of the contract or wants scholarship money, trying to use any sort of leverage could be a really bad move.


I agree with Stringer Bell. OP politely ask for scholarship money and if they decline, explain how you thought ED applicants could get money, and how you cannot afford to attend this year. There a tons of people on the UVA waitlist who, when accepted, usually don't get money anyway. I'm sure if you are polite and give a good explanation for wanting to break your contract, they will let you.

zephyr36
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:49 am

Re: ED asking for late scholly money?

Postby zephyr36 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:55 pm

bump. any comments on the email?




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest