Is it unethical to negotiate scholarships by... Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
idfatq

New

Is it unethical to negotiate scholarships by...

Post by idfatq » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:38 am

Lets say I have a 100K scholarship from BU and a 40K scholarship from Cornell. I want to go to BU. Normally, the straight-forward thing to do would be to email BU about Cornell's 40K, see if they bite, if not, just take the 100K. What if I, though,

1) email Cornell about BU's 100K as if I'd seriously consider if I get a raise
2) receive a slight raise from Cornell to, say, 60K
3) THEN email BU about Cornell's 60K.

Is this dirty?

Verity

Silver

Re: Is it unethical to negotiate scholarships by...

Post by Verity » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:03 am

Just do it.

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:21 am

No, it's completely ok.

gossipgirl

Bronze

Post by gossipgirl » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:58 am

If you're misleading/lying to Cornell when you tell them that you want to go to Cornell but BU gave you more money, then obviously it's unethical. If you just phrase your letter to Cornell as "yo, give me more money", then it's ok. Good luck getting anything with the latter though...

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:33 am

Provided you don't lie, it's OK. On the other hand, you are unlikely to get anywhere with this, and it borders on being dishonest... so it is up to you.

Send Cornell a letter stating you are having trouble deciding between the two schools, and that financial issues are a large factor in your decision making. Inform them of your scholarship at BU... and ask if they can do anything that might make your decision easier. Hell, they might even give you enough $$$ to make it worthwhile to go there instead. Doubtful, but maybe. Anyways...

Then take any offer you get and tell BU about it, telling them you would prefer to go to their institution, but finances are a concern.

But... even if you get 60K from Cornell my guess is that BU is going to be like "Hey, we already gave you 100K, which is way more than 60K. So we aren't upping that. Make a decision."

Up to you though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:43 am

I came here with the intent of saying "If you have to ask if something is unethical, it is"... but no, that's completely normal. That's how negotiations work, at least for someone whos capable of thinking more than one step ahead.

Boggs

Bronze

Post by Boggs » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:48 am

aliarrow wrote:I came here with the intent of saying "If you have to ask if something is unethical, it is"... but no, that's completely normal. That's how negotiations work, at least for someone whos capable of thinking more than one step ahead.
This.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:56 am

aliarrow wrote:I came here with the intent of saying "If you have to ask if something is unethical, it is"... but no, that's completely normal. That's how negotiations work, at least for someone whos capable of thinking more than one step ahead.
f7u12 wrote:I doubt Cornell will budge since they're not peer schools, but I guess trying can't hurt and I don't think it's unethical.
These two combined. +1

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:17 pm

you cheating whore.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Redsgomarchingon

Bronze

Post by Redsgomarchingon » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:07 pm

Last edited by Redsgomarchingon on Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:36 pm

just saying...finaid people really hate this and know people do it. but people do it. so just do it.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:43 pm

+1. Asking for money never hurts. This surely isn't a particularly ethical decision, but then again, neither is charging $200,000+ for 3 years of law school.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:49 pm

One warning about TLS, giving specific details about various things can bite you in the ass. Admissions departments keep up on these boards. Don't ask me how I know this :roll:.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:27 pm

lisjjen wrote:One warning about TLS, giving specific details about various things can bite you in the ass. Admissions departments keep up on these boards. Don't ask me how I know this :roll:.
+1 :(

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:38 am

aliarrow wrote:
lisjjen wrote:One warning about TLS, giving specific details about various things can bite you in the ass. Admissions departments keep up on these boards. Don't ask me how I know this :roll:.
+1 :(
Beyond true. Use it to your advantage. Lie on the boards, trick the adcomms.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Financial Aid”