Negotiating without other offers?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
newbienew

Negotiating without other offers?

Postby newbienew » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:51 am

I just received my financial aid offer today from a lower t14 school. I didn't apply anywhere else, because I'm locked into the location of that school. However, I haven't fully decided that I'll attend law school, in large part because of the expense involved. Is there any chance I could negotiate with the admissions office on that basis, even without aid offers (or even acceptances) from any other schools? Or am I up a creek? Thanks!

FiveSermon

Re: Negotiating without other offers?

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:43 am

You can try but I doubt there will be much success.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:11 am

From one newbie to another, I can tell you that you'll wonder if you've overpaid if you don't even try. They aren't going to rescind what they've already given you, and even a 3% chance at spending thousands of dollars less is worth sending them the letter/email.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:34 pm

I don't understand why everyone is so caught up with the other offers thing. I would simply say. I love your school because of XYZ but merit scholarships will factor heavily into my decision. If merit aid could be increased I would certainly attend or it would be my top choice.

If they flat out ask you what other schools you have offers from I would figure out some reason why the other school would "cost you less" and that is why more money is needed from school you are negotiating with. Whether or not you have other offers should not stop anyone from negotiating.

newbienew

Postby newbienew » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:22 pm

Just wanted to post my success story here: I received an offer for a full-time job in the city of the school that accepted me, and used that as leverage. They upped my aid from $12K/year to $15K/year. I'm happy.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:25 pm

As long as you don't lie, negotiate as aggressively as you can. They're not going to rescind your offer unless you do something stupid like forge a letter from another school.

Return to “Financial Aid”