Negotiating Aid? NYU vs Penn Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
abg

New

Negotiating Aid? NYU vs Penn

Post by abg » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:27 pm

I'm choosing between NYU (50k aid) and Penn (45k aid). As these schools are basicially equals, and the difference in aid is small, is it at all likely that Penn would significantly up their offer? If so, does anyone have any advice on how to negotiate scholarship offers against each other? Thanks

Moxie

Silver

Re: Negotiating Aid? NYU vs Penn

Post by Moxie » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:11 pm

Just try and leverage with both schools. I could see Penn giving you a bit more money if it's your first choice and you let them know that.

It never hurts to try.

thecilent

Gold

Re: Negotiating Aid? NYU vs Penn

Post by thecilent » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:13 pm

abg wrote:I'm choosing between NYU (50k aid) and Penn (45k aid). As these schools are basicially equals, and the difference in aid is small, is it at all likely that Penn would significantly up their offer? If so, does anyone have any advice on how to negotiate scholarship offers against each other? Thanks
Yeah, like moxie said, try regardless.

Really though, even if they match or not, you are going to have to decide where you want to spend the next three years - Philly or Nyc. These are my two favorite cities. Can't go wrong either way. But spend some time in each and decide which you like.. IMO

Edit: as to negotiation.. Send penn a screenshot of your nyu offer. Tell them Penn is your number 1 choice, but debt is a huge factor for you. Ask them if they would be willing to reconsider your aid offer in light of your other offers..

Edit 2: you can also email nyu and screenshot penn ofer. Tell nyu they are yor first choice but bc you have family in philly, you wouldn't have to pay for housing there. Tell them that since the coa would be so much more at nyu, you were wondering if they could reconsider your aid offer. Honestly it can't hurt.

Return to “Financial Aid”