Private loans for International Students Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
spece212

New

Private loans for International Students

Post by spece212 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:35 pm

I am looking for financial resources for funding my JD at GWU starting Fall 2011. I have a few family/friends in the US with decent credit rating willing to co-sign my loan application.

Where do I start looking for private loans which would cover both tuition and cost of living? GWU does not recommend any particular banking institution for private loans.

Any suggestions from International students who have obtained private educational loans in the US would be highly appreciated.

spece212

New

Re: Private loans for International Students

Post by spece212 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:13 am

Bump

SentinelsOfEvil

Bronze

Post by SentinelsOfEvil » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:23 am

i'd like to know about this too if anyone can help...

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:43 pm

spece212 wrote:I am looking for financial resources for funding my JD at GWU starting Fall 2011. I have a few family/friends in the US with decent credit rating willing to co-sign my loan application.

Where do I start looking for private loans which would cover both tuition and cost of living? GWU does not recommend any particular banking institution for private loans.

Any suggestions from International students who have obtained private educational loans in the US would be highly appreciated.
Try Sallie Mae. I got a loan from them when I did my MBA 5 years ago and my rate is 2.125% (has never changed). My co-signer has a stellar credit score, though (close to a perfect score).

Cats off to you!

New

Post by Cats off to you! » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:16 pm

Comparison chart of private loans:
http://www.finaid.org/loans/privatestudentloans.phtml

A note on Sallie Mae: applicants abroad need to send in a paper application (not sure if this applies to ALL international applicants), so you'll need to deal with their annoying robot phone system to get them to email that to you. Press some numbers until you get prompted to enter in a social security number, at which point, do nothing until past the "please participate in our survey" message and you'll get a real person. The call center is out-sourced so the quality of your operator is very hit or miss. Be ready with the FAFSA School Code (and campus code, if applicable) for your law school of choice.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”