Negotiating more out of highest offer?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Verity

Negotiating more out of highest offer?

Postby Verity » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:34 pm

I wonder if anyone's successfully tried to get more money out of the school that gave them the most. In my case, a T25 gave not quite a full scholly, but close. They also gave me the highest nominal amount out of all the other offers.

Anyone think they'll up it if I agree to attend? How should I ask?

Verity

Re: Negotiating more out of highest offer?

Postby Verity » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:41 pm

No McLovin?

bernadette1

Postby bernadette1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:07 pm

i had the exact same question. i want to try and not sound like a douche for asking for more.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:33 pm

do you have a higher ranked acceptance? I think people use that to negotiate, too.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:37 pm

sarahlawg wrote:do you have a higher ranked acceptance? I think people use that to negotiate, too.

+1

I think it probably wouldn't hurt anything to ask, but if you don't have a selling point (such as peer schools offering you more money etc) I doubt you will have much luck getting an increase.

Verity

Postby Verity » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:34 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:do you have a higher ranked acceptance? I think people use that to negotiate, too.

+1

I think it probably wouldn't hurt anything to ask, but if you don't have a selling point (such as peer schools offering you more money etc) I doubt you will have much luck getting an increase.

I have a higher ranked acceptance, but the scholarship amount is like a third of the one I'm trying to negotiate.

masochist

Postby masochist » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:37 pm

I was able to do this, but I had an offer from a higher ranked school that was only about 25% less than the offer I was trying to increase.

mel2010

Postby mel2010 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:52 pm

Well, they can't really rescind their offer right, so the worst is that you come off mildly douchey (or maybe responsible?)

I say you contact them, explain you're thankful for their generous offer, but you're still having trouble choosing that package over X school...is there anything they could do to make your decision easier? If you make it clear that you'd enroll with no debt obligation, or something along those lines, they might bite.

But, I don't know anything about anything...just my two cents.

gmreplay

Postby gmreplay » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:11 pm

masochist wrote:I was able to do this, but I had an offer from a higher ranked school that was only about 25% less than the offer I was trying to increase.

This is exactly what I'm trying to do. How much did you get and how did you go about it?

Return to “Financial Aid”