NYU (RTK) vs. Stanford vs. Columbia

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
neonx

NYU (RTK) vs. Stanford vs. Columbia

Postby neonx » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:56 pm

Hey guys,

I don't know what to do. I was just extended a 72-hour offer for the Root-Tilden-Kern scholarship (full-tuition, public interest scholarship at NYU). I have not received financial aid packages from Columbia or Stanford (the latter of which, I was just admitted to within the past three days.)

I would solely rely on my family members for their opinions, but I feel like there are more informed posters on this forum.

Please help. I'd love to hear others' opinions.

lawyerwannabe

Re: NYU (RTK) vs. Stanford vs. Columbia

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:04 pm

NYU for freeeeeeeeee.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:06 pm

NYU for free in a heartbeat. Congrats and enjoy!

bubba

Postby bubba » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:06 pm

-
Last edited by bubba on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:09 pm

Before I go, I will say that I would still be tempted to go to Stanford because, well, it is Stanford!!

P.S.: Columbia should not be an option.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Don't let the shine of Stanford get in the way of what should be the easiest decision of your life.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:13 pm

NYU RTK > Columbia in a heartbeat, but I'd have to consider Stanford carefully before turning it down.

However, for those going into PI, NYU is an incredible place to go even without an RTK

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:25 pm

See if you can get a stanford aid offer before you accept. All these people saying nyu for free dont realize that it's not free.. still going to pay a lot of money to go there. tuition =/= coa.

If stanford offers you some aid, it could be a tough decision

neonx

Postby neonx » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:33 pm

Yeah I crunched the math for total cost of attendance minus tuition. For the entire three years, NYU will still cost me $72,078.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:37 pm

neonx wrote:Yeah I crunched the math for total cost of attendance minus tuition. For the entire three years, NYU will still cost me $72,078.

Exactly. That's why you gotta see if you can get a response from S. They might offer you some aid..

Edit: also it depends on what you want from ls. biglaw? academia? Cali? Ny?

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:40 pm

NYU and never look back.

Stanford is amazing, and if you have your heart 100% set on the West Coast then consider it... If not, this shouldn't even be a discussion.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:41 pm

NoleinNY wrote:NYU and never look back.

Stanford is amazing, and if you have your heart 100% set on the West Coast then consider it... If not, this shouldn't even be a discussion.

lol

bellamy

Postby bellamy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:41 pm

thecilent wrote:See if you can get a stanford aid offer before you accept. All these people saying nyu for free dont realize that it's not free.. still going to pay a lot of money to go there. tuition =/= coa.

If stanford offers you some aid, it could be a tough decision

Lets see $ 50,000 COL debt upon graduation from NYU v $150,000 to $200,000 at Stanford (assuming a for Stanford generous aid package). That is $1700/ month for Stanford for the next 10 years v $530/month for NYU. Is Stanford worth an extra $1200/month for 10 years? If yes go but most would say no!

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:43 pm

Stanford. I believe that that NYU scholarship requires you to work in PI after you graduate. You never know what might happen once you enter law school in terms of of your preferences. In addition, SLS LRAP is so good that if you do choose to do PI from there you basically give yourself a free ride. Finally, I don't know what exactly you mean by public interest, but if you mean something like DOJ you are dead in the water at NYU with under a 3.3 GPA---something that's very likely to happen. Because of Stanford's odd grading and their prestige a specific set of grades won't automatically rule you out of very selective PI jobs like it will at NYU. Finally SLS and NYU are world's apart in terms of things like clerking and as previously mentioned government work in general.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:46 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Stanford. I believe that that NYU scholarship requires you to work in PI after you graduate. You never know what might happen once you enter law school in terms of of your preferences. In addition, SLS LRAP is so good that if you do choose to do PI from there you basically give yourself a free ride. Finally, I don't know what exactly you mean by public interest, but if you mean something like DOJ you are dead in the water at NYU with under a 3.3 GPA---something that's very likely to happen. Because of Stanford's odd grading and their prestige a specific set of grades won't automatically rule you out of very selective PI jobs like it will at NYU. Finally SLS and NYU are world's apart in terms of things like clerking and as previously mentioned government work in general.

Tyft

twistedwrister

Postby twistedwrister » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:58 pm

The RTK program is about so much more than money. In addition to the scholarship, Roots get extensive mentoring, networking opportunities, and a closely-knit alumni network. Even if your grades aren't stellar, having "RTK scholar" on your resume opens a lot of doors. I know a bunch of 3L RTK scholars, and all of them have amazing jobs lined up. If you're not sure about PI, then the RTK program probably isn't for you. If you are, I don't think you can do better.

Galnnn

Postby Galnnn » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:10 pm

Are you excited about living in New York? If so, I'd say take the RTK. But if you have lingering doubts, is it possible to extend the deadline past the Stanford ASW? I'm also choosing between NYU with (maybe) a lot of money (my program hasn't extended offers yet) and Stanford and I couldn't imagine making the choice until I went to visit Stanford in person.

but also, I'm still not sure what kind of law I really want to do, so I'm thinking that Stanford will keep more doors open for things like social entrepreneurship and other more business-y things. But if you KNOW in your heart of hears that you want to do public interest work of whatever type, NYU is well-known within the field and I think that RTK gives you incredible opportunities.

Good luck in making a great decision!

NikaneOkie

Postby NikaneOkie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:23 pm

bhan87 wrote:NYU RTK > Columbia in a heartbeat, but I'd have to consider Stanford carefully before turning it down.

However, for those going into PI, NYU is an incredible place to go even without an RTK

+1

neonx

Postby neonx » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:56 pm

Stanford offered an amazing need based fellowship (see numbers in PM for details). I think I'm going to take it.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:02 pm

Go West my friend. Go West...

texan_snowman

Postby texan_snowman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:03 pm

neonx wrote:Stanford offered an amazing need based fellowship (see numbers in PM for details). I think I'm going to take it.

Stanford and never look back. Be wary of anyone making you an offer under extreme time pressure (especially before you get to visit beautiful Stanford, CA this weekend -- they are trying to steal you!)

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:10 pm

NYU is you are absolute, positively, 100% sure beyond any shadow of a doubt that you want to do PI and have never doubted that lifestyle for an instant.

Stanford otherwise.

somewhere

Postby somewhere » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:33 pm

neonx wrote:Stanford offered an amazing need based fellowship (see numbers in PM for details). I think I'm going to take it.

We'll miss you in the Root program if you do, but good luck either way!

wellreallynow

Postby wellreallynow » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:44 am

neonx wrote:Hey guys,

I don't know what to do. I was just extended a 72-hour offer for the Root-Tilden-Kern scholarship (full-tuition, public interest scholarship at NYU). I have not received financial aid packages from Columbia or Stanford (the latter of which, I was just admitted to within the past three days.)

I would solely rely on my family members for their opinions, but I feel like there are more informed posters on this forum.

Please help. I'd love to hear others' opinions.

Hey, I know this goes a ways back but I'd love to hear what you ended up thinking of your decision. I'm exactly where you are-- potential full ride at NYU and got into Stanford today-- and i have really strong personal reasons (long-term SO in SF; from CA originally) to be in Cali so I'd love to be at S, but turning down the RTK is also...hard to say the least.

Return to “Financial Aid”