Need Help/Advice

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
damage-inc

Need Help/Advice

Postby damage-inc » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:53 pm

Creating this thread because I was just recently blind sided by Cornell with absolute $0 in grants even though I believe my family has enough of a need to justify some kind of need-based grant. I filed both FAFSA and NeedAccess on time and I am showing factual and legitimate numbers of 36k combined family income (12k parents + 24k me) , no assets such as stocks,bonds or house, over 25k in undergrad loans, and most importantly 0 Expected Family Contribution. I don't want to make this thread a long list of how poor my family is but I truly do believe that the above justifies some kind of need.

Now I know that I have a 167/3.9+ and those numbers might not blow away anyone at Cornell admissions but those same numbers have snagged me 38k/year merit from WUSTL and 25k/year merit from BU (currently being reconsidered in light of WUSTL's offer) as well as numerous other scholarships

I am not sure as to what is wrong on my need application that Cornell is giving me nothing. What do TLS'ers suggest I do in this situation? Is there any way I can put my family's financial hardships into words for them?

Thanks for the help

lmrcl041

Re: Need Help/Advice

Postby lmrcl041 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:27 pm

damage-inc wrote:Creating this thread because I was just recently blind sided by Cornell with absolute $0 in grants even though I believe my family has enough of a need to justify some kind of need-based grant. I filed both FAFSA and NeedAccess on time and I am showing factual and legitimate numbers of 36k combined family income (12k parents + 24k me) , no assets such as stocks,bonds or house, over 25k in undergrad loans, and most importantly 0 Expected Family Contribution. I don't want to make this thread a long list of how poor my family is but I truly do believe that the above justifies some kind of need.

Now I know that I have a 167/3.9+ and those numbers might not blow away anyone at Cornell admissions but those same numbers have snagged me 38k/year merit from WUSTL and 25k/year merit from BU (currently being reconsidered in light of WUSTL's offer) as well as numerous other scholarships

I am not sure as to what is wrong on my need application that Cornell is giving me nothing. What do TLS'ers suggest I do in this situation? Is there any way I can put my family's financial hardships into words for them?

Thanks for the help

This is surprising. Did you fill out the Cornell institutional form?? My EFC was well over $5000 and I still got something. I would call and ask and explain your situation. The ladies in the FinAid office are really nice.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:29 pm

Lol, comparing Wash U to Cornell. I'll tell you what Cornell admissions will tell you - just go there. "Need based" aid outside of the T3 is a myth.

damage-inc

Postby damage-inc » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:34 pm

Veyron wrote: "Need based" aid outside of the T3 is a myth.

I think you've missed all the posts by those who are below median numbers and have reported need-based aid given to them by Cornell

Return to “Financial Aid”