Am I screwed?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Peg

Am I screwed?

Postby Peg » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:48 pm

So I missed the priority financial aid deadline for one of my top schools, mainly because I didn't put the school code in the FAFSA. (Didn't think I'd get in). I did get in a couple days ago, so I quickly re-submitted the FAFSA with my new school's code, but I've still missed the priority deadline by like 2 weeks. The school wasn't pleased when I phoned them and gave me a lecture on how important deadlines are and that now I would have to wait longer to get my aid package.

Is this going to affect my ability to get Stafford or Grad PLUS loans through FAFSA? I didn't apply for grants/Need Access because my parents wouldn't release their financial information, so I'm mostly just hoping for federal aid through FAFSA. If you apply to a school past their priority deadline, what does that mean for your FAFSA package? Does it mean you won't get enough loans to cover COA?

dood

Re: Am I screwed?

Postby dood » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:53 pm

i personally would tell u to go fuck off and find another way to pay for law school. u would probably thank me for teaching u this important lesson at a point in ur life where it didnt matter that much. but in our society from an early age u learn its easier to apologize and fix mistakes rather than not making them in the first place. undoubtedly ur school will continue the trend.

Peg

Postby Peg » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:29 am

Trolls bore me.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:34 am

Peg wrote:Is this going to affect my ability to get Stafford or Grad PLUS loans through FAFSA?

No.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:35 am

I don't think dood is trolling so much as telling you in an overly harsh way exactly what the school told you:
Deadlines are important. Missing them can really screw things up for you and others.

However, unless you were counting on need-based aid from your school, you'll probably be fine as far as all your loans go. The Stafford and Grad PLUS loans don't necessarily take a long time to get in place, and at worst you've just given your school's financial aid people an excuse to give you a little shit.

dood

Postby dood » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:40 am

lol but i also told u what u wanted to hear:

"undoubtedly ur school will continue the trend."

Peg

Postby Peg » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:41 am

fundamentallybroken wrote:I don't think dood is trolling so much as telling you in an overly harsh way exactly what the school told you:
Deadlines are important. Missing them can really screw things up for you and others.

However, unless you were counting on need-based aid from your school, you'll probably be fine as far as all your loans go. The Stafford and Grad PLUS loans don't necessarily take a long time to get in place, and at worst you've just given your school's financial aid people an excuse to give you a little shit.

Fair enough, I acknowledged I was in the wrong. It wasn't exactly due to carelessness so much as "I can list 5 schools on my FAFSA and it's unlikely that I'll get into this school." Maybe that constitutes carelessness, but I did re-submit the FAFSA as soon as I got admission.

It's a relief to know that my loans won't be affected. No, I wasn't counting on need-based aid apart from the FAFSA, so hopefully I will get my full COA covered.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:46 am

Peg wrote:It wasn't exactly due to carelessness so much as "I can list 5 schools on my FAFSA and it's unlikely that I'll get into this school."

This is why you submit it with 5, resubmit it again with the next 5, and so on. Would have taken an extra 5 minutes, and ALL the schools would have gotten your info.

Return to “Financial Aid”